'Dear White People' Brings To Light Problems 2017 Thought Were Over

With this Netflix series, some real light is being shed.
6

Netflix came out with an amazing new series called, "Dear White People," and I am addicted. Strategically made to bring up racial issues still facing campuses, and really the world, today, it brings up the big issues while not being in your face about it. It sends a strong and clear message of what needs to be changed without distorting or beating around the bush. Netflix had a message, and they sent it.

Storyline: This show focuses on showing the events of what happened from views of different members of the all black student housing on campus. Each episode is labeled a chapter. Some chapters back track to show certain parts of events and others build on the story. The main focus is a blackface party thrown by the all white paper on campus called Pastiche. As the story unfolds tension rises and so do the stakes. Past friendships are revealed and twists and turns appear. It keeps you hooked in the best way possible.

This TV show is based off the movie "Dear White People." The Netflix series even has some of the same actors. The show takes a little more of an in-depth look at the problems and it explains so much more. Watching the trailer for the movie (which to be honest, I will probably watch later tonight), seems to show me what more is to come in season two. Yes! There is a season two, so that means it does end in a cliffhanger.

So let's be real here, it gets serious. There are some seriously deep things that go on. The fact that there is a blackface party at an Ivy League campus gets some real emotions flowing. Granted it is fiction, racism is still around.

We can't ignore it. I live in a small town, and the population is basically 90 percent white. I am going to a campus that is big on diversity and is just plain big in general. I am hoping that if I ever have the chance to shut down racism or stop something like that from happening, I take that opportunity.

"Dear White People" shows a harsh reality. Some of the stuff said and done in the show is downright cruel. It is 2017 and we all know that racism still exists, even if it isn't in the outright, blatant for it used to be. Things need to change. And with this Netflix series, I think some real light is being shed.

Not only does it address racism, it also touches on LGBT+ problems. Diversity is the key to a better world. So I'd like to give big props to the creators of both the movie and the Netflix series for bringing light to something people try to pretend is no longer a problem. And that is what we need to have.