5 Netflix Documentaries That Deserve More Attention Than Tiger King

But you're not ready to have these conversations.

23

Listen, I loved Netflix's Tiger King as much as everyone else. I was thoroughly entertained and mindblown by every episode of the series, but at the end of the day, the series was meant more for entertainment than for actually documenting a social issue and creating awareness. Sure, there were discussions about the immorality of breeding and captivity, but the majority of the series followed drama like a trashy reality show.

Netflix has so many great documentaries that actually discuss social issues and bring awareness to incredibly important topics. These stories deserve to be heard and recognized. Here are just a few of the countless documentaries worth watching.

1. Audrie & Daisy

This documentary follows the stories of two girls who were sexually assaulted by guys they considered their friends. Following their assaults, they were tormented online and in person as their friends, classmates, and towns turned against them. Meanwhile, their rapists remained able to live relatively normal lives.

2. I Am Jane Doe

This documentary follows the stories of multiple survivors of human trafficking and their fight against the website that allowed them to be sold, as children, for sex. Watch as the survivors and their mothers fight to change the law that protected websites from being held accountable for enabling human trafficking.

3. Virunga

This documentary focuses on Virunga National Park and the rangers who risk everything to protect the few remaining mountain gorillas living in the wild. The rangers lives are at stake as they try to fight against poachers and oil drilling in the name of conservation.

4. Chasing Coral

This documentary follows a team as they try to capture the process known as coral bleaching on film in order to raise awareness about the dying coral reefs. Learn about just how important coral reefs are as ecosystems and how human actions are rapidly causing their death.

5. 13th

This documentary traces the historical roots of the criminalization of African Americans in the United States. The name of the documentary comes from the examination of the 13th Amendment and how it allows the perpetuation of a new form of slavery within prisons despite purportedly abolishing slavery.