Neocaridina shrimp vs Caridina shrimp
News

Neocaridina shrimp vs Caridina shrimp

shrimp

5
Neocaridina shrimp vs Caridina shrimp

This is all time comparison between both types of freshwater shrimps. Since each type of shrimp is unique than others. The main idea that comes into mind when talking about shrimps is to keep them at a house in the aquarium as a part of the house's aesthetic, or some foodies who love to eat seafood take them into their diet.

Natural minerals and proteins are found in these shrimps that can potentially benefit their health. Additionally, their color and behavior are unique, making them fascinating sea creatures to look at.

Even though you will find a few similarities between them that confuse people sometimes, this article will be helpful to learn about the difference between neocaridina shrimp and caridina shrimp. So, without wasting any time. Let’s get straight into this.

Neocaridina shrimp:

Neocaridina shrimp are a type of freshwater shrimp that are popular in the aquarium hobby. They are known for their hardiness and ease of care, making them a popular choice for beginner aquarists. They are also known for their bright and varied colorations, including red, yellow, orange, black, and more.

They can tolerate a wide range of water temperatures and do not require a specialized diet. Some popular species of Neocaridina shrimp include Red Cherry Shrimp, Yellow Shrimp, and Blue Dream Shrimp.

They are generally kept in various tank setups, including planted, community, and shrimp-only tanks. They are often known for their scavenging abilities and help clean the tank.

Caridina shrimp:

Caridina shrimp is a type of freshwater shrimp that belongs to the family of Atydea. They are generally found in Asian and subtropical waters, particularly near southeast countries like Thailand, Taiwan, etc. Caridina shrimp is considered a fascinating freshwater shrimp. The natural habitat of these shrimps includes ponds, rivers, and low-bottom lakes.

These freshwater shrimp's attractive attributes are their color, behaviors, color patterns, and diverse combinations.

Similarities between caridina and neocaridina shrimps.

Caridina shrimp and Neocaridina shrimp have many similarities, as they belong to the same family (Atyidae) and are freshwater shrimp. Some specific similarities include the following.

• Appearance: Both types of shrimp have a transparent body and various colourations. Depending on the species, they can range in color from brown, green, yellow, red, and even blue.
  • Size: Caridina shrimp are typically larger than Neocaridina shrimp. They can grow up to 2 inches in length, while Neocaridina shrimp are usually smaller, reaching a maximum of 1.5 inches.
  • Aquarium hobby popularity: Both types of shrimp are popular in the aquarium hobby and are known for their hardiness and easy care requirements. They are suitable for both novice and experienced aquarists.
  • Scavengers: Both Caridina and Neocaridina shrimp are scavengers and will eat algae, detritus, and other small organisms, making them a great addition to any freshwater tank.
  • Reproduction: Both types of shrimp reproduce by laying eggs, which the female carries until they hatch. The number of eggs that are laid will vary depending on the shrimp species.
  • Life span: Both types of shrimp have a similar lifespan, living for around 2 to 3 years on average.
  • Water parameters: Both types of shrimp have similar water parameters; they thrive in water between 68-78°F (20-26°C) pH range of 6-7.5 and a moderate level of water hardness.
  • Tankmates: Both types of shrimp are peaceful and get along well with other tank mates. They can be kept with other types of shrimp, fish, and snails, as long as the tankmates are not known to be aggressive.

Differences between caridina and neocaridina shrimp.

While Caridina and Neocaridina shrimp have many similarities, as they both belong to the same family (Atyidae) and are freshwater shrimp, there are also some key differences between the two types of shrimp.

• Tolerance to water conditions: Caridina shrimp are less tolerant of changes in water conditions than Neocaridina shrimp. They require stable water parameters and are more sensitive to pH, temperature, and hardness fluctuations. On the other hand, Neocaridina shrimp are more adaptable to different water conditions and are more resistant to disease.
  • Color variations: Caridina shrimp have a limited range of color variations compared to Neocaridina shrimp. Caridina shrimp come in red, yellow, green, and brown, while Neocaridina shrimp come in various colors, including red, yellow, orange, black, blue, and even multicolored.
  • Size: Caridina shrimp are typically larger than Neocaridina shrimp, They can grow up to 2 inches in length, while Neocaridina shrimp are usually smaller, reaching a maximum of 1.5 inches in length.
  • Breeding: Caridina shrimp are difficult to breed in captivity, while Neocaridina shrimp are relatively easy to breed. Caridina shrimp are known to be sensitive to certain medications which can be used to treat fish diseases. Neocaridina shrimp are more hardy and resistant to medications, making them a better choice for tanks with fish.
  • Caridina shrimp are generally more expensive than Neocaridina shrimp, due to their more limited availability and more demanding care requirements. Caridina shrimp are less common in the aquarium trade, while Neocaridina shrimp are more widely available.
  • Caridina shrimp are more sensitive to copper, which can be found in certain medications and tap water, which can be toxic to them. In contrast, Neocaridina shrimp are more tolerant to copper.

Maximum age of Caridina shrimp.

The maximum age of Caridina shrimp varies depending on the species and the conditions in which they are kept. On average, Caridina shrimp have a 2-3 years lifespan, with some species possibly living a bit longer.

In optimal conditions, such as a well-maintained aquarium with stable water parameters, proper nutrition, and no predation, some species of Caridina shrimp may live for up to 3-4 years. However, in less optimal conditions, such as in a tank with poor water quality or high levels of stress, the lifespan of Caridina shrimp may be shorter.

Maximum age of Neocaridina shrimp.

The maximum age of Neocaridina shrimp is similar to that of Caridina shrimp and varies depending on the species and the conditions in which they are kept. On average, Neocaridina shrimp have a lifespan of 2-3 years, with some species possibly living a bit longer.

In recommended conditions, a well-maintained aquarium with stable water parameters, proper nutrition, and no predation, some species of Neocaridina shrimp may live for up to 3-4 years. As opposed to conditions, the life span of neocaridina shrimp may get shorter.