10 Healthy Meals You Can Make Yourself In Nelson Court

That spaghetti looks tempting, but do I need the extra carbs?

3
Kaylee Smith

Although college meals in the dining hall are becoming more vast in terms of having an array of food, many people are still drawn to the chicken tenders. Here are 10 healthy meals you can make yourself in Nelson Court at Ohio University.

1. Avocado toast

Get a piece of wheat bread from the breakfast station (or whichever type of your choosing, although wheat is probably the healthiest) then toast it. After that, make your way to the salad bar and smear some guacamole on it. Yes, this isn't true avocado toast, but it's equally as good.

2. Power bowl

This is a good option if you're in the mood for something sweet. Go to the breakfast station, get a bow and fill it with a yogurt of your choosing. The, put granola on top, alongside some fruit such as blueberries or bananas.

3. Hummus and carrots

If you're not feeling extremely hungry this is a good option. Go to the salad bar and get the hummus of the day (often times its black bean) then get some carrots to dip into the hummus. This is low calorie, yet delicious.

4. Egg bagel

At the breakfast station, order an over-easy egg. While that is being made, toast a bagel of your choosing. After both things are done, but the egg in between the bagel; you can add cheese or hot sauce if wanted.

5. Peanut butter and banana sandwich

How can you ever go wrong with a sandwich? Get two pieces of bread, peanut butter, and cut a banana up to place in between the slices. It's quick and full of protein, making it an easy option for in between classes.

6. Fruit salad

Nelson already has fruit mixed together by the salad station such as grapes, pineapple and apples. You can add other fruit available such as blueberries and bananas as wanted.

7. Cereal

Although some cereals have no nutritional value and are just packed with sugars, you can make a healthy cereal by using skim milk and cheerios.

8. Mexican salad

Using rice from Bamboo Bowl and black/pinto beans, guac, chicken, and sour cream from the salad station you can make your own Chipotle salad.

9. Steamed vegetables and chicken

Kalamata Leaf usually has some type of steamed vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower. Having a serving of that with chicken from one of the other stations is a satisfying, healthy meal option.

10. Make your own salad

Nelson's salad bar is huge with an array of vegetables, protein options, and dressing. If you wanted a packed salad, this is the perfect option for you.

Although dining halls can be good, they still don't compare to home cooking. Choosing one of the options listed above will not only allow you to be able to "make" your own meals but ensure that they're healthy at the same time.