You Need To Know What Facebook Knows About You

Have you taken the time to find out what kind of data is being collected from you?

78
Flickr

If you have been keeping up with the news lately, then you have likely been hearing things about the scandalous behavior of Facebook and a consulting firm named Cambridge Analytic. I personally like it when people give me a brief and easy to understand run-down of complex events such as this one, so that is exactly what I am going to do for you.

So basically, a couple hundred thousand Facebook users took a quiz from one of the countless Facebook quiz apps. This particular quiz app was created by a man named Aleksandr Kogan. Kogan collected all sorts of data (beyond what the quiz inquired) from Facebookers who used the app as well as from the friends of those who used the app. This information was then provided to the aforementioned consulting firm, Cambridge Analytic. Working with the Trump election campaign, Cambridge used this data best it could in order to benefit Trump in the outcome of the 2016 election.

If you would like to see a visual diagram providing a more detailed outline of what went down in this recent scandal, check out this article from Vox.

Now, to clarify, this whole shindig didn’t have a huge impact on Trump being elected to the presidency. What is alarming about this situation, though, is that data was taken from millions of Facebook users without their knowledge. Data providing information about people's activities, likes and dislikes, and other personal information was collected. What is equally concerning is that Facebook officials knew of these events, but it wasn’t until the disgraceful behavior raged through the public that CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, and other officials chose to address the issue with an apology and efforts for change.

Through all of this, what is to be taken away is that, if you utilize ANY social media platform, conduct Google searches, use online banking, make online purchases, or literally conduct yourself in any digital manner, data is being collected from you. To one extent, we cannot control it much. Some of the “Big Data” being collected from us is not causing any harm and can actually be used in certain ways to advance our society.

I encourage you, though, to not always “agree to the terms & conditions” with every app you download or with every website you utilize. Take the time and seek out privacy policies. Be aware of what apps such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. have access to if you allow them and decide if you are okay with it. Situations like this one in particular, involving Facebook and Cambridge, are likely to keep showing up in your news updates. Because of this, it is wisest to monitor your online footprint more so than you previously have been.