I Need An Umbrella

I Need An Umbrella

A poem.
11

my mom used to tell me

“when it rains, it pours.”

i never thought anything of it

until i got into my twenties

and realized it wouldn’t stop pouring.

Cover Image Credit: nyenvironmentreport

50 One-Liners College Girls Swap With Their Roomies As Much As They Swap Clothes

"What would I do without you guys???"
108249

1. "Can I wear your shirt out tonight?"

2. "Does my hair look greasy?"

3. "We should probably clean tomorrow..."

4. "What should I caption this??"

5. "Is it bad if I text ____ first??"

6. "Should we order pizza?"

7. *Roommate tells an entire story* "Wait, what?"

8. "How is it already 3 AM?"

9. "I need a drink."

10. "McDonalds? McDonalds."

11. "GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED."

12. "Okay like, for real, I need to study."

13. "Why is there so much hair on our floor?"

14. "I think I'm broke."

15. "What do I respond to this?"

16. "Let's have a movie night."

17. "Why are we so weird?"

18. "Do you think people will notice if I wear this 2 days in a row?"

19. "That guy is so stupid."

20. "Do I look fat in this?"

21. "Can I borrow your phone charger?

22. "Wanna go to the lib tonight?"

23. "OK, we really need to go to the gym soon."

24. "I kinda want some taco bell."

25. "Let's go out tonight."

26. "I wonder what other people on this floor think of us."

27. "Let's go to the mall."

28. "Can I use your straightener?"

29. "I need coffee."

30. "I'm bored, come back to the room."

31. "Should we go home this weekend?"

32. "We should probably do laundry soon."

33. "Can you see through these pants?"

34. "Sometimes I feel like our room is a frat house..."

35. "Guys I swear I don't like him anymore."

36."Can I borrow a pencil?"

37. "I need to get my life together...."

38. "So who's buying the Uber tonight?"

39. "Let's walk to class together."

40. "Are we really pulling an all-nighter tonight?"

41. "Who's taking out the trash?"

42. "What happened last night?"

43. "Can you help me do my hair?"

44. "What should I wear tonight?"

45. "You're not allowed to talk to him tonight."

46. "OMG, my phone is at 1 percent."

47. "Should we skip class?"

48. "What should we be for Halloween?"

49. "I love our room."

50. "What would I do without you guys???"

Cover Image Credit: Hannah Gabaldon

4 Things My Brother Taught me Before he turned 4

4 of many lessons my beloved sibling has brought to my attention in the last four years

353

On July 19, my sweet baby brother is turning four years old. And while to many that doesn't sound like a milestone or a big deal, it is. My sibling and I had a love-hate relationship from the start, as anyone would expect from an only child for 15 glorious years. That love-hate relationship quickly turned into all love, laughter and life lessons.

1. Have Fun

Quite obviously shown above in the photo, my baby brother and I have fun with each other all the time. He may just be my best friend, with his comforting words when he knows I'm sad- or just stubbed my toe- or his tickles that make me giggle like no other. I can always count on my best friend to make me laugh and have fun with me.

2. Manners Manners Manners

Having a younger sibling that follows you around and acts like a mocking bird, helps you to quickly reevaluate your actions and sayings. Having my brother, Brody, around helped me to freshen up on my mannerisms. I would frankly be embarrassed if we were to go out and he didn't say thank you or please when necessary. My father, however, took manners to the next level, the boyfriend material level... all before the age of four. When I venture out of our home with Brody or our dad and Brody, Brody always holds the door for me and anyone else coming up. There is something to be said for a child with manners.

3. Patience

Young children are always a test to your patience, no matter who they may be. Little brothers especially have a way to make sure they get on their sisters nerves. And although he may( definitely does) get on my nerves, he has taught me to take a moment and think about my own feelings and how easily or quickly I am getting annoyed and reevaluating my emotions to better myself and Brody. I have learned patience beyond my wildest dreams and hope to put them to use one day with my own curtain climbers.

4. Most Importantly... Love

Have you ever seen a child go crazy just at the fact they get to sleep in your bed. Or, when their eyes light up at the word "ice-cream" You better understand and appreciate love when you have someone there to experience everything for the first time and fall in love with every new experience all over again. Children have a great capacity to love and care for one another and my baby brother has taught me that sometimes we get what we don't think we needed and gain a lot from the experience.

To the brother I know and love, I hope your lessons to me can be a reminder or lesson to someone else. Happy fourth "Bird day!" Your sister loves you like no one else!