7 Things You Need To Do Alone At Least Once In Your 20s

Doing things alone will make you feel rejuvenated like you wouldn't believe.
2155

One time I wanted to go see a movie and none of my friends could go with me. I decided to go on my own. The experience was euphoric. At this point in my life, I am definitely used to being on my own and not waiting on anyone to have life experiences. The independence and self-reliance is an integral part of who I am.

While I love people, I have always been the type of person that enjoys being on my own. Being alone makes me feel free. Maybe I'm a little abnormal in that respect, but there's sort of a magical element in being alone. As a slight introvert, I thrive and re-energize by being alone. I still love interacting with people, but I relish the time I have to myself- it doesn't drain my energy. It's not healthy to be on your own all the time, but there are things worth trying to do on your own. Try doing these things in your 20's on your own and see how it opens your eyes and freshens your perspective.

1. Go see a movie

Billy Crystal

As I mentioned, seeing a movie by yourself is awesome. Perhaps you're still around people, but you can choose who you engage with. Instead of being in your bed with a computer, you're just watching a new film on the big screen. You don't even have to share the popcorn.

2. Take a road trip

Road Trip

Nothing will refresh your mind and renew your spirit like driving an open road to a new destination. If it makes you nervous, just have your phone with you and share your location with someone you trust. There are always people you can check in with. Any sort of travel on your own is eye-opening and invigorating, really.

3. Eat out

Eat Out

I know, I know. I'm crazy for putting this on the list. I actually love eating out on my own. I typically don't go to a restaurant where they wait on you, but I'm happy to run by Chipotle and grab a burrito bowl on my own. Try it- people watching can be especially fascinating.

4. Exercise by doing yoga or hiking

Yoga

I feel motivated to do an exercise like yoga or hiking in a group, but it's also nice to talk yourself through yoga and use your own playlist or enjoy nature. You can make yoga as simple or complex as you want and no one will judge you if you don't hold that plank super long. When hiking, you can take as long as you need to appreciate the environment you're in and process through any thoughts you have.

5. Learn a new skill or pick up a new hobby

Keeping Up With the Kardashians

Pick a skill you've been wanting to learn or try. Maybe it's knitting. Find a YouTube video that shows you how! Maybe you want to start scrapbooking your old travel adventures. Go buy the supplies and start! It can be something you do just for yourself.

6. De-clutter your space

Declutter

The best person to go through your stuff is you. It may not be fun, but it's practical and productive. Enjoy going through your all your things and reminiscing about all your memories.

7. Do a night in for just you

Night In

A treat yo' self night where you intentionally just spend time with yourself can look so many different ways. Cook for yourself and watch your favorite Netflix show. Take some time to journal and spend some time in prayer. Enjoy a warm bath and glass of wine. Do all of the above! Relish the freedom you have to process through the season of life you are in, wherever you're at.

I hope if you try a couple of these things that you get to know yourself better and learn more about who you are. Be real with yourself. Only you can stop yourself from new experiences. Taking the time to truly enjoy who you are can help make you the type of person that is kind and willing to give time to other people. I can't wait for you to experience that.