Matt Lauer has been fired from NBC today, November 29, 2017. This is after a colleague reported inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace Monday night, November 27, 2017. Honestly, I am shocked and I really don’t know what to say, or think, or even feel at this point.

Here is what was read on the Today Show by Savannah Guthrie;

“Dear Colleagues,

On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment. While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.

Our highest priority is to create a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected, and to ensure that any actions that run counter to our core values are met with consequences, no matter who the offender.

We are deeply saddened by this turn of events. But we will face it together as a news organization – and do it in as transparent a manner as we can. To that end, Noah and I will be meeting with as many of you as possible throughout the day today to answer your questions.

Andy”

Watching the video, you can see that Savannah Guthrie and even Hoda Kotbare who was sitting at the desk next to her in shock. They said that they had just had the news broke to them.

This is how I feel about this, first and foremost I am shocked. But at the same time, all I can think is that he has been with the Today Show and NBC for over 20 years. That is longer than I have been alive. So, what his colleague reported, had to be huge. Also, the statement reads that there is a reason to believe that it was not the only event that took place. When I read this, I interpret it as there was substantial evidence, which very well could mean that they had more than just someone’s word. The statement said that they received a report Monday night, they fired him Wednesday morning. One whole work day went by and they cut him. If you look at other reports that have been going around in the news lately, no one has taken such a strong action. In the business world, you would not fire one of your largest employees for an acquisition that is not huge.

In the mornings, all my favorite concerts, celebrities, and even NASCAR drivers always seem to be on the Today Show, heck if I have time in the morning I just flip it on for background noise, now even more than ever having my own place.

As an OU student, it’s even harder to wrap my head around. He was like our Poster Child. He created a special program for Bobcats at the Today Show for internships. He is a Bobcat, even though he is alumni, and it reflects back on other Bobcats, especially those trying to follow in his footsteps to broadcasting and journalism and the success he has had. It’s a sad day for us Bobcats. Just last week the day before the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, he stood with our band and sand 'Stand Up and Cheer' on Live TV. He is a very proud Bobcat.

So, I guess now it is time for everyone to sit tight, and wait to see what else NBC reports to us.

UPDATE: November 30, 2017

Matt Lauer has now released a statement, just one day after being fired from NBC. This is his statement Below:

"There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.

Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.

Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace."

There is not much else that is for certain about what happened. So far it is claimed that many women have come forward, but they do not want to be named in the media. There is a rumor, I say rumor because nothing has been officially confirmed, that he had a button under his desk that would lock his office door from the inside. This would mean that if someone was in his office he could lock it without him knowing and then be basically trapped. With this not being confirmed, it does add to the speculation.

But when you think about having a hidden button under a desk that locks you in the room and you do not know. That is scary. Having a button that calls security or police makes sense. But having a locking button freaks me out. Even Christain Grey did not have that. IF this is true, mind you I do say if because it is not confirmed, the person who approved it and installed it needs to be under some fire too.

It is good that he apologized and quickly too. But I'm sorry is not what I call a full fix. Sometimes it feels like it is an, I'm sorry I got caught. So we are still waiting for more information obviously. Twenty-four hours after the original news, I can say that I am still shocked. I can also say that I am glad that NBC took action, and it still seems like a fast action. In today's world, it is important that serious action is taken on serious matters.

I am sad how you can look through Twitter and see his actions being reflected on Ohio University. Today is still a sad day for Bobcats, simply from the horrible acts that another Bobcat did. I really want to take a moment to point out that what one Bobcat does, does not reflect ALL Bobcats, so please do not lump all of us in with this. We do not agree with this behavior, we are shocked that a person that seemed to be wonderful on air, would do such things.