At 9:00 on a Thursday night while everyone else is pre-gaming to go out on campus I'm in my room cozy with my laptop and cell phone. No, I'm not watching Netflix or checking Facebook, I'm either Skyping or on the phone with my boyfriend stationed in another state. It's not always easy living nearly 9 hours from each other, though it is better than when he was in another country this time last year. At 20 all my friends are spending the night with their S/O's or going out on dates while I'm happy for a phone call. It's not always fun but it is doable. Here's 8 tips to make long distance work in your early 20's.

1. Communicate, communicate, communicate.

Don't be afraid to talk to each other about what's really on your mind or if somethings bothering you. A lack of communication when you're already so far apart from one another can be your downfall.

2. Be realistic about travel.

When you're young you tend to be broke. Being broke means you might not always be able to afford a visit no matter how badly you may want to. Sometimes it might be too long or hard to drive but flying is pretty pricey. Don't even get me started on trying to find enough time between work and class. Having realistic expectations will make your life so much easier.

3. Be familiar with your phone or computer.

If you have either they're likely going to be your main forms of communication. When you can't actually see each other phone calls, texts and Skype dates will become very important to you.

4. Make your conversations meaningful.

Don't stop keeping each other up to date on your lives just because you aren't seeing each other every day. Your conversations should probably be a little more in depth than just "What's up?".

5. Make time for each other.

Take time out of your busy schedules to respond to that text, answer that phone call or make that drive. A night in video chatting with your SO may end up being even better than that night out at the bar.

6. Don't let your jealousy get in the way.

It's easy to be jealous of the people who get to see them on the daily basis when you can't. Don't let that cause unnecessary problems for you, neither of you should have to completely put your life on hold just because you're apart.

7. Do the little things.

I had a bad night so he attempted to go online from eight hours away to order my favorite Chinese restaurant for me and my roommate, pay for it and have it delivered to us. Something was wrong with the website so it didn't quite work but it really is the thought that counts. It was enough to remind me how lucky I am and completely turn my night around.

8. Don't give up.

There will be times things get really hard and you question if you're happy just from the stress of not seeing one another. Don't give up, I promise it'll all be worth it in the long run.