The Importance Of Staying Close Friends With Your Sisters
Life Stages

To The Sisters We SERIOUSLY Couldn’t Live Without, And Wouldn't Want To

"Sisters before misters" is a forever kind of thing.

109
Francesca DiPisa

Sisters: for some of us they could be the most annoying people in our lives that constantly blame us for stupid things or steal our cute clothes, and in other cases, they are the best at giving advice and the perfect companions for a quick run to the supermarket for your parents. In my case, however, all of the above is true, and then some.

I am the middle child of my family with three daughters (yes, my father was blessed with extra levels of estrogen in our house). The middle child is also known for being the misfit or the one to pay extra close attention to, but that never really was the case for me. I never paid attention much to how my parents treated all of us individually because they literally give us all the same amount of love. I may sound like I'm exaggerating here, but I think my sisters would agree with me on this one and how our parents did a great job of raising the three of us — not to mention that they had us at five-year intervals.

Indeed there are five years in between myself and both my sisters, and that makes ten between my older sister (Gianna, pictured above, middle) and youngest (Isabella, pictured far left). It sounds like a lot, especially nowadays, but I never realized this until I became older. Another great thing about what my parents did with us was that they — maybe involuntarily — made us bond so much that we have good and close relationships with one another. I truly don't know if it is the Italian-American household thing where we eat dinner together every night, or the fact that we have lived together all of our lives and sharing rooms with each of them for my first ten years of life, but it is something that I am absolutely grateful for.

Anyone who has a sister knows that they are good for the basic necessities of a sibling, like doing the mini favors or taking them someplace, but when you have multiple it is even better because each of them has their own strengths. The criteria have changed over the years, but each of my sisters holds certain qualities that make them special in my everyday life. Gianna has become my go-to for fashion as well as guy advice- the typical big sister type stuff — while Bella is the one I go to if I need a laugh or someone to geek out with over the movies/shows/musicians we fan over. We are more together than we are apart, though: we all see each other at least once a day and even hang out when we all get the chance. Whether it's a Starbucks run or going to the movies, whatever it is, we always enjoy each other's company.

For as close as we all are to each other, though, that's not to say that we have some pretty rocky times, too. Sisters are bound to have little fights over stolen clothes or who left the empty granola bar box in the cabinet, or sometimes even take out their stress and anger on each other even if the other person isn't the blame for any of it. At the end of the day, however, apologies and forgiveness are exchanged and life just keeps rolling on.

Now, the reason I am writing this article in the first place isn't just because National Sister's Day is coming up soon (August 5, to be exact), but because I had one of those scary revelations somewhat recently on just how important sisters are in my life. Rewinding back to about two months ago, my family and I traveled to Universal Studios for a five-day vacation per the high school band's annual band trip since Bella is a drummer now. Gianna could no longer attend due to a bachelorette weekend for her friend, so it just left the four of us venturing down the coast. If that didn't make things different enough, Bella had to stick with the band since she was technically on a school field trip, so that left me alone with my parents for the most of it.

This wasn't a bad thing by any means — my parents aren't the smothering or embarrassing types — but it was just something I wasn't very used to. Of course, family outings would widdle down to four or three if one of us had plans with friends or extracurriculars to participate in, but I always seemed to have at least one sister with me almost all the time or I was the one who went out. All of a sudden, I got to have a glimpse of what "only child life" was like on a vacation (something I never had any interest in whatsoever), and I learned I didn't like the outcome very much.

During the short vacation, I had significant amounts of time without Bella around and it honestly made me kind of sad. Being around just my parents allowed me to spend time with them, yes, but I missed having someone else around to share the fun with. I found myself missing Bella crack her jokes and random intelligent facts, as well as Gianna with her dramatic expressions and being the star of funny videos on my Snapchat story. Even though not having my sisters around was a harmless and temporary thing, I realized that I could never live without them around for the everyday moments and shenanigans.

For as long as I have been on this earth I have never known what it is like to not have a sister, so these couple of days really showed me what it would be like without them. Sure, there was less yelling and bickering but that also meant less fun. Once you are used to sharing adventures as well as studying your parents' behaviors with your siblings, you really don't ever want to not have them around. The occasional day or two without being around them is okay, of course (healthy, even), but to not be able to have them around at all would take a definite toll on anyone who has a sister.

I have always been grateful for my sisters, but I realize now more than ever how powerful my bond with each of them is. In fact, I think my Middle Child Status is special because I get the best of both worlds. I get to be the gullible little sister as well as the bossy big one, I'm able to learn from Gianna's mistakes while teaching Bella my own, and I'm able to think about my past and future. When I look at Gianna with her college degree and coming home from teaching in a classroom every day, I'm motivated to think about what I want my future to look like and how adulting is really going to be. And when I see Bella play her drums with the band and worry about her first day of high school, I get to think back on how nervous I was when I was her age and just how far I've come from then.

The reason sisters are so special in particular is that it is truly a bond like no other. Although I can't say anything about the bonds of brotherhood since I don't have one myself, I can say that having a sister makes life never boring and more enjoyable point blank. My advice to sisters or anyone who does have one is to just hang out with them, whether you're close with them or not, because you never know what great things can come out of it (and they may enjoy it even more than they'll admit). If you're not too keen with this whole idea even now, bear this in mind: you're going to have to deal with them for the rest of your life, so you might as well start having a good relationship with them now.

To Gianna and Bella, if you're reading this, I love you both more than anything and will always be there for you no matter what. Thank you for dealing with my dumb moments, loud singing in the shower and everything in between. The fact that we are friends by choice makes life even more awesome.

And that's the one other thing about sisterhood that's utterly fantastic — you have a sister by chance but get to be friends by choice. And believe me, that's one of the best decisions I have ever made.