7 Ways to Beat November Blues

7 Ways to Beat November Blues

The schoolwork nightmare is covered with gravy and cranberry sauce. The struggle is absolutely real.

103
7 Ways to Beat November Blues
Oxbridge Academy

November is the worst month of the year. Not really (but honestly it kind of is). Just hear me out.

You would think it is the best month of the year. Stranger Things came out a few weeks ago and is available to us on Netflix. We are still pecking on all that Halloween Candy. We have the best of both worlds at Starbucks, with both Holiday menus at our fingertips. It’s perfect scarf weather without the extreme threat of frostbite. And can we talk about the stuffing? The perks can be deceiving.

While our favorite D&D players are fighting monsters, our grades are slipping away and our lives are turning upside-down. Everything is falling apart and we are up to our ears with presentations, exams, essays, and portfolios. I find myself every year at Thanksgiving dinner trapped by all the work I have in the back of my mind. I wish I could sing Waving Through a Window to my family, as they enjoy their Pumpkin Pie and I stress over the 8 page essay I have due on Monday after break.

Now, let’s not even start on the added bonus you get if you work retail. Catch me at the Doorbuster TVs on Thanksgiving. Nice writing to you all. At least I will get out of having to do finals this year.

For now, while you are still alive and awaiting your impending death by stampede, I will give you some of my tips and tricks (that I know work, yet never follow myself). Hopefully I can help you keep your life under control as we approach the end of National Save Your Grade Month.

7. Minimize the distractions.

This is the biggest one for me. One minute, I am looking up the definition of that really big word I found three sentences into studying. Then, the next thing I know, I'm level 20 in Sims Freeplay and rereading those 3 sentences for the 15th time because I can’t focus on the words on the page.

You have to back off from your phone. Turn it off. Put it on do not disturb and buy yourself a dictionary, because that is an actual book that does not entice you with countless Buzzfeed quizzes and cat videos.

I use an app called Forest. It locks you from using your phone for a certain amount of time and grows you a personal forest. If you pick up your phone it kills your trees. It used to work very well for me.

However, I have grown into a heartless monster that can’t keep the trees alive for more than 10 minutes. It’s a problem. But it might work for you, because you aren’t a miserable excuse of a human being.

6. You may think you can multitask...

Yet today, I “did homework” while binge-watching 13 hours worth of Stranger Things with my parents. And this is exactly why I am writing this article 27 minutes past my due date. Apologies to my editor for dealing with my miserable, Netflix-loving butt. Just don’t try it, because whatever you are trying to multitask with is always far more interesting than the homework.

Ask friends or family to help keep you on track by minimizing the distractions if you need to. Try to remember that Dexter will indeed be there when you finish your homework.

5. Try not to sacrifice your sleep.

I know this is inevitable. It happens. Especially if you are working and going to school (and watching Stranger Things religiously. Just me? Okay). There are just not enough hours in the day, but life unfortunately is all about time management.

You have to be able to prioritize your tasks and set aside chunks of time that will allow for a decent night's rest. You will retain far more of your work and won’t have to cram as much the night before the final if you are giving your brain the rest it deserves.

4. Use a planner (or some type of date-keeping tool).

I am all about planners. It helps to see visually what you have to do. It makes things easy to check off and allows you to keep track of tasks so that hopefully you are not forgetting everything. I love making mine colorful and nice to look at. Make it worth your time and energy, because it really is going to help you keep track of those due dates.

3. Speaking of due dates, DO NOT PUT THEM OFF!

If it doesn’t have a “hard deadline”, make the time to get it done! You won’t regret it in the end. I have a class this semester where most of the work's “hard deadline” is the week after Thanksgiving and now my world is falling apart, because I put it off until the last minute. Don’t be like me.

2. If you find yourself falling behind… checklists!

Checklists make everything feel better for me. They allow me to see what needs to be done and in what order. The prospect of getting to check off an item keeps me motivated to carry on. And do not be afraid to speak to your professors, most of them really want to help you. Sometimes it feels so much bigger than it really is and they can possibly give you some peace of mind.

1. Don’t forget to take some time for yourself.

It is okay to take a break, within reason. Go out for coffee for half an hour. Take a 15-minute power nap. Grab some water. Call a friend. It’s okay. You are going to get through this, but you have to remember your priorities. Have fun within reason, because you will hopefully have plenty of time to have fun after December 17th.

Happy studying my friends, and may the grades be ever in your favor.

Did these tips and tricks work for you? Let me know in the comments below!