New Narnia Movie Coming Soon, Finally!

New Narnia Movie Coming Soon, Finally!

"The Silver Chair" is about to hit the silver screen.

1058
New Narnia Movie Coming Soon, Finally!
sparrowandlilies.com

The Pevensies are back! Just a few days ago, a very long-awaited announcement was made that everyone's favorite talking lion would once again take fans back to the world that ignited the magic inside the hearts of every man, woman and child. Tristar Pictures is partnering with The Mark Gordon Company, The C.S. Lewis Company and Entertainment One for another Narnia adventure. "The Silver Chair" is finally going to hit the silver screen.

It's been 60 years since C.S. Lewis wrote the final words in his final book of "The Chronicles of Narnia" series and 6 years since the last Narnia film hit the big screen. Lewis' seven novels tell the tales of a group of children called into a mystical land by both unwavering belief and the will of a powerful and lovable lion who, through extraordinary adventures, teaches them valuable lessons about both the beautifully good and the ugly evil that resides in the world. The books sold over 100 million copies worldwide and were published in more than 50 different languages, making Lewis' magical masterpiece one of the most successful and popular book franchises in the world. The seventh book, "The Last Battle,” was even awarded the highest mark of excellence in children’s literature, the prestigious Carnegie Award.

The first "Chronicles of Narnia" movie released in 2005, "The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe," as well as the second film released in 2008, "Prince Caspian," were both produced by Disney and boded highly successful in the film industry. The third CON movie, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," released in 2010, was produced by Fox 2000 Pictures and though all three movies together grossed 1.6 billion in box offices worldwide, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" did not have nearly as much success living up to viewers' expectations as did its two previous cinematic counterparts.

With the last film having taken a nosedive with mixed reviews, producers turned their heads from sequels to prequels. "The Magician's Nephew," Lewis' prequel to "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe," was said to be the next CON book in line to be brought to life by Walden Media. However, three years ago Walden decided to step out of the Narnia business leaving an unfinished "Magician's Nephew" prequel hanging in the balance along with a starved and anxious Narnia fandom.

Though the movies have been passed constantly from one production team to another, audiences are finally going to see the fourth book in the beloved children's series come to life. "The Silver Chair" follows the journey of the Pevensie's cousin, Eustace Scrubb, and his friend Jill Pole through Narnia who set off on a search and rescue mission for King Caspian's lost son. While it is still unclear whether or not former cast members will be returning for this new adaptation, producers have made it clear that the film will have a fresh new look. "It's all going to be a brand new franchise," said Gordon in an interview with Coming Soon. "All original. All original characters, different directors, and an entirely new team."

Sony Pictures and Entertainment One will be distributing the picture while Mark Gordon, C.S. Lewis’ stepson Douglas Gresham, Vincent Sieber and Melvin Adams will produce the film. "Life Of Pi" and "Finding Neverland" screenwriter David Magee has been working on the script since 2013 when the team first got the rights to make the fourth film. According to The Christian Science Monitor, aside from the films being passed back and forth and Walden backing out of the prequel project, "The Silver Chair" current Tristar production team also lacked a studio and were unable to hit the ground running three years ago on the franchise revival. However, production is now underway and Gordon said to Coming Soon that, “We’re hoping to be able to make the movie very shortly."

TriStar head Hannah Minghella grew up reading the Narnia books as a child and is exceedingly enthused to be included in the project. In an interview with Deadline Hollywood Minghella said, “Reading ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ was one of the formative experiences of my childhood, just as it has been for children around the world for generations." She continued, "To have the opportunity to bring new life to the Narnia films with a new creative team is a career highlight. Our mission is to build TriStar Pictures as a home for filmmaker-driven literary and commercial movies, and this film represents a huge step forward for us. We’re thrilled to be working with Mark, Doug, Melvin, Vincent, and David as we adapt 'The Silver Chair.'”

It is difficult to say who is more excited about the revival of the Narnia films, the fans or the filmmakers. Reviving such a popular and beloved classic series of heart gripping books is no easy task. However, the C.S. Lewis spirit that thrived in the novels is sure to shine through in this latest film adaptation with Gresham, Lewis's own step-son, seeing this movie through every step of the way. "I have a great deal of respect for Mark Gordon's work and I am confident that together we can bring the beauty and magical delight that Narnia engenders in the hearts of those who read the books to the screen in 'The Silver Chair,'" said Gresham in an interview with Storify. Gordon added, "Like many readers, both young and old, I am a huge fan of C.S. Lewis's beautiful and allegorical world of Narnia. These fantasy stories inspire real-world passion among millions of devoted fans around the world. As we prepare to bring the next book to life, we are humbled and excited to contribute to the outstanding legacy of Narnia."

It's been a long time coming but the wait is near over. Tristar is taking audiences back to Lewis' world and Aslan's country. After six long years of waiting, the trumpet has blown. It's time to step into the wardrobe, onto the train, past the lamppost, and onward to the rich green hills of Narnia. It's time to believe once again. It's time to let the lion roar. The quest is on for the silver chair.