What Your Non-Greek Friends Think Sorority Life Is Versus What It's ACTUALLY Like

These are five absurd claims people actually believe about sororities.

286
Lance Nix / Flickr

As someone who has been in a sorority for almost two years and has been on both sides of recruitment, I find it funny when people who have never experienced it try telling me "what it's like."

Friend: So they haze you, right?

Me: Uh, no. They don't.

Friend: Well, you're just saying that because your sorority forced you to keep it a secret.

Me: Nope.

Friend: Yes, don't lie. It's like being in the Illuminati.

Me: I just can't win.

To combat the bad reputation that has been put on greek life, I would like to share the top claims my non-greek friends have made about sororities, compared with my own experiences being in one.

False Claim 1: Sororities Will Haze You

How am I supposed to prove I was never forced to sit on washing machines and circle the parts of fat on my body that giggle?

It's impossible.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of sorority hazing stories that end up being true for others, but I am fortunate enough to have never experienced it myself.

Instead of being hazed, I was bombarded with friend requests on social media and showered with gifts from my big.

We weren't shamed for our appearances, we instead discussed body positivity at our meetings. Woo!

False Claim 2: Sororities Won't Let Lesbians Join

This isn't the stone age.

There are lesbian girls in every sorority on campus, including my own.

Even my little has a girlfriend, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

Love is love, and being LGBTQ+ is nothing to be ashamed of.

False Claim 3: Sororities Only Care About Looks

I get why many people think this, but it's just not true for my sorority.

We don't just hand out bids to every pretty girl who walks in.

Contrary to what my non-greek friends think, we actually care about values, leadership, integrity, and academics.

We want girls who have something meaningful to offer, and that includes more than just a pretty face.

False Claim 4: Sororities Are Gangs

I get it.

The hand signs look pretty gang-like, but I promise it's not that weird.

Unlike gangs, sororities aren't made up of criminals.

Instead of committing crimes, we do community service and raise money for our philanthropy.

False Claim 5: Greek Life Is All the Same

I cringe when I see documentaries or news reports on Greek life where the filmmakers can't differentiate between Greek letters of Honor societies, college ministries, sororities, and fraternities.

My university has four different councils for Greek life, including IFC, MGC, NPC, and NPHC. Organizations within each council have different rules, regulations, recruitment processes, and historical contexts. To generalize them all as being the same is just inaccurate.

All in all, sororities are different everywhere you go.

It won't stop the crazy preacher on campus from calling me an evil, hazing, sorority girl, but at least I am able to share the truth about my experience.

From the inside looking out, it's hard to explain.

From the outside looking in, it's hard to understand.