Myths Debunked About Christianity

The Top 4 Biggest Myths About Christianity

Just like not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Christians are racists.

228

I grew up in eastern North Carolina, which meant you got up at eight o'clock every Sunday and dressed your best to go praise the Lord. You listened to the preacher, you learned valuable lessons, and when the topic on Sunday was exactly what you were going through, you knew God was real and he could hear you.

As I've gotten older and can now understand a lot more that's going on in this world, I've come to realize there are many, many misconceptions about my faith that I feel I should straighten out.

1. All Christians are racists. 

www.aaihs.org

I have never, ever disliked or judged someone based off of their skin color. I was raised by my family that we look at peoples' morals before anything else and that everyone should be treated equally--because that's how God sees it.

2. All Christians hate LGBTQ groups/people.

upload.wikimedia.org

You love who you love. It's as simple as that. Marriage is a sacred term in the Bible, where it also states that marriage is between a man and a woman. Christians believe this because it's a part of our religion, not because "we hate gay people." Just like you may not believe in animal sacrifice, doesn't mean that you hate the people that do it.

3. All Christians are "too good" for some people.

farm5.staticflickr.com

No one is better than someone else simply because of a religion. I have met the most amazing people who aren't Christian, and just because I am doesn't make them or their beliefs any less.

4. All Christians aren't tolerant of other religions.

tse1.mm.bing.net

Many people hear of Christian missionaries going into other third world countries and discussing and converting those people into believing in God and the word of God. Wanting someone to believe in God and ultimately go to heaven isn't a bad thing, no one has to convert to another religion. I have multiple friends of different religions and I don't think of them as any less of a person just because they believe in something different. It's all about religious tolerance.

I will admit that there are many extremists in this generation, and generations prior. However, that can be said the same for every religious and socialist movement. I also can't speak for every Christian out there that all four of these are myths (just like family, there's one crazy person in every bunch).

But, I do believe that the Christianity I know and was raised in believes that all four of these statements are myths and can prove that we are not racists, we do not hate the LGBTQ community, we aren't "too good" for some people, and we are not intolerant of other religions.

So, the next time that you hear someone is a Christian, don't assume any of those four things. Get to know the person, what their morals are, and how they treat others.