How To Use The Myers-Briggs Personality Test To Know Yourself Better

Get a better understanding of yourself and those around you.

480

When browsing the Internet or spending time on social media, it's almost impossible not to run into some sort of personality test. From learning your Hogwarts House to being told your optimal career path, everywhere you look, you're placed into a category. And while most of these quizzes are just for fun and aren't intended to offer you any real insight, there is the occasional system that can actually be very useful and help you better understand yourself and others.

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, or MBTI for short, is a system that classifies people in sixteen different personality types. The types are formed by four different characteristics, each represented by a letter, so that the final outcome is a four letter chain, such as INFP or ENFJ. The categories are broken down as follows.

Extroversion vs. Introversion (E vs. I)

The first aspect of a personality type is whether or not the person is an extrovert or an introvert. These terms are often thrown around and misused in terms of their real meaning, so to clarify: Extroversion and introversion have very little to do with behavior, and much more to do with where a person draws their energy.

Extroverts are defined as people who find the company of others to be the most stimulating, and often seek out large groups to spend their time with. Too much time to themselves leaves an extrovert feeling tired and often anxious. Extroverts are the most comfortable when engaged in conversation and a part of a whole.

Introverts, on the other hand, are the exact opposite. They can socialize just as well as extroverts, as shyness and introversion are not simultaneous or even related, they simply need alone time to "recharge" their energy and maximize their ability to function successfully. After spending a substantial amount of time with a group, no matter how positive of an interaction it was, an introvert tends to feel as if they have just finished a physical workout and need to wind down with time to themselves.

Sensing vs. Intuition (S vs. N)

The second segment of an MBTI type focuses on the way an individual perceives information. Someone who tends to take in information in a sensory way comes to conclusions based on what their senses tell them about the world around them. They pull from previous experiences when formulating opinions, and tend to think more about the "now" than what will happen down the road. A sensor requires evidence and direct communication to process happenings, and doesn't tend to be a fan of roundabout ways of reaching an idea or concepts explained in terms of elaborate metaphors.

Intuition based processors tend to go more with what their instinct says and look at facts later. If an intuitive type as a "gut feeling" about a situation, even solid evidence for the opposition will have a hard time changing their mind. This type thinks about possibility and potential for the future, and often speaks in terms of generalities instead of specifics. Innovation and positive change are always on an initiator's mind.

Thinking vs. Feeling (T vs. F)

Of all the characteristics of a personality, the third option tends to be the most distinct and easy to determine type. How a person makes a decision is either affected by primarily logic or primarily emotion. A thinker makes their choices by adhering to rules and standards, believing that there is a distinct right and wrong way to handle a situation. This type of person has a tendency to see the world in black and white, and sees no problem in accepting information without question if there is logic included.

Feelers, as the name suggests, incorporate their emotions into their decision making. To them, life is circumstantial and is made up of grays as opposed to absolutes. It is very important to the feeling type that harmony remains in balance and that conflict is minimized, even when it might solve a problem. Compassion is at the root of everything they do.

Judging vs. Perceiving (J vs. P)

Last but not least comes the classification of an individual's method of planning. The first type, judgers, are not negative people, as the description may seem. They are merely the type that tends to be organized and to make plans and stick to them. This category likes to know the status of everything in their life and is made uncomfortable by chaos or a lack of knowing.

Perceivers are those who prefer to "wing it," who like to keep their options open and play things by ear. Structure restricts their creativity, and as long as they have a method to their madness, they are content with disorder and enjoy improvisation.

Taking the test

There are many different versions of the Myers-Briggs test that determines your type, but as someone with an MBTI certification, I prefer the ones that offer simple yes or no answer options, as quizzes with "strongly agree" or "neutral" options tend to make the process more difficult. Here is a link to what I have found to be the most accurate style of the test.

Before taking it yourself, please note that it is very important to take the test as you are, and not as you would like to be or as other people see you.

What's the big deal?

So what makes the MBTI different from every other personality test out there? What are you supposed to do with your type once you've learned it? Your Myers-Briggs type can be used for two important tasks that you as a person should always be working on: better understanding yourself and better understanding those around you.

In order to be happy in life, you've got to know what type of person you are. Being able to recognize that you aren't your optimal self after a day of mandatory socializing, or that you aren't the best person for a job that requires impersonal relations is crucial to helping you find a place where you can have success. There isn't a "best" personality type or types, just areas where certain types work best. Jobs where it is essential to be just rather than merciful, such as high-ranking positions in the military, are best suited for those with a "T" in their type, where a job that requires lots of office cubicle and solidarity time would be better enjoyed by an "I."

Even if a characteristic of your personality seems that it might struggle with the objective of a task, if you know yourself and how you function, you can compensate. For example, I myself am an introvert, but am majoring in theater and have a job in customer service. Knowing that heavy amounts of socialization have a tendency to make me tired and irritable, I allot myself time during the day to clear my head and rest up by myself so that my productivity isn't affected.

In terms of using the MBTI to better understand others, knowing someone's type can be used to avoid conflict and to resolve it if it arises. If typed correctly, a person's four letter combination is like spark notes to their brain; you have access to their reasoning and views of the world. Understanding the similarities and differences between yourself and the other person practically spells out how to make the relationship work.

So go out and do some research on what it means to be you! Not only will you grow as a person through the acquisition of knowledge about yourself and how you relate to others, but you'll also find that there are many other people who see the world the way you do, and that you might not be as alone as you thought. Happy learning!