My White Cloud: A Short Story
Life Stages

Fiction On Odyssey: My White Cloud

"I was not able to shake it; like a dark cloud floating over my head."

209
Fiction On Odyssey: My White Cloud
Kristine Lebo

Looking out my bedroom window, I feel numb. I am not a morning person these days. I force myself into the shower and run my fingers over my body slowly. I feel as if I am about to fall back asleep. Would that really be the worst thing? I guess I will fight it today. Maybe tomorrow I will let myself drown.

I find an outfit that is as good as any, swing my backpack around me and head out the front door. I always walk to school, since it's just a mile away. I would also rather croak than ride the bus. People have not been my thing lately.

I sit on a bench halfway to school to breathe. I put my head in my hands and just sit there. I'm not physically tired, just mentally exhausted. I turn my head to some yellow lilies, planted on the edge of the road. I smile. Lilies are my favorite. They remind me of my mom.

From underneath the flowers, jumps a little, white rabbit. It hops twice while chewing on a lily stem. That make me smile, too. We used to have a rabbit like that. We used to have a lot of animals when my mom was… thinking about the past hurts. My heart sinks like a ship.

As I became overwhelmed with the memories, I noticed the rabbit had changed. Where once sat a fresh, white rabbit, was now occupied by a larger, skinnier creature. It looks like a rabbit, but as if decaying in front of me.

Its eyes stare up at me or so I thought. It's hard to tell. Eyes as black as coal and appear to be sinking back into their sockets.

Not knowing how to react, I left. Leaving the rabbit there alone. I figured it would be dead soon. Normally I would try and help but it looked too far gone and I had enough to deal with.

The sadness of thinking about my mom lingered throughout the school day. I sat alone at lunch. I used to have a lot of friends, but they all ditched me after the accident. I guess they couldn't handle it, or handle me.

My stomach feels sick. I push my tray to the center of the table, but it's stopped by something. I look up and immediately fly back out of my chair.

In the middle of the table lays a long, withered rabbit, with eyes that drip. Though, it is not facing me. It's looking out the window facing the school parking lot.

The rabbit zones out for a long time on a red truck. I sit there for a few minutes, staring as well. My family used to own a truck like that. My mom and dad would pick me up from school and we'd talk about our day in it. It was the only red truck in town, so whenever I spotted it, I knew it had to be them. We were happy then.

The memory was broken by a patch of soft fur brushing against my arm. I'm confused to see the little, white rabbit rubbing its tiny face on my skin. It starts hopping, accidentally knocking my tray off the table, making a loud crashing sound.

The red truck slid through my conscience. Slipping on ice, crashing into oncoming traffic. Crash. The sound echoes through my head.

The nightmare felt like yesterday. Thinking back to that day made me dizzy. We don't have that truck anymore.

The rabbit stares up at me now. It looks sad too. Licking my hand, it desperately tries to make me smile again but a tear falls instead. Focusing on the tear, the rabbit's body begins to morph again. I could not handle seeing it for a third time. It hurt like I was looking into my soul. I could not watch the light leave a living thing's eyes. Not again.

I will forever be haunted by my own demons. On the side of the road. Waiting for help. Surrounded by pieces of red metal. Holding my mom as the light left hers.

I broke into tears, running to the bathroom. I cried until my body gave up. School felt pointless, so I left.

Walking home, I notice the sick rabbit following me. I take quick turns, trying to lose it. It's quite fast for being so lifeless. I was not able to shake it; like a dark cloud floating over my head.

I make it home in record time that day, due to the fact I was trying to lose my dark cloud. Exhausted, I lay face down on my bed, hoping the rabbit can't get into the house.

If it were up to me, I would burn this house down. My mom is written all over it, from the decorations in my room, to the smell of her perfume that still lingers throughout the place. I wanted it to burn as much as I wanted to be held by it.

I did not realize it but I had drifted off into a deep sleep. I was not shocked I dreamed about my mom, considering the events of the day.

In my dream, I was just watching her. She looked so beautiful. I do not think she saw me. She was sitting on a chair in the middle of a meadow. She was petting a small creature as they both watched something playing on a television, sitting in front of them.

On the scene, I saw me. I was sitting on a bench on the side of the road, with my head in my hands, crying. As my mom watched me cry, she started to cry, too. The little creature was a rabbit. It looked up at her then pressed its head into her stomach. It tried so hard to cheer her up, but it couldn't.

My mom looked down at the little, white rabbit with a knowing look. She told the rabbit, "You have to find her. You have to help her through this. She needs you."

The rabbit stared up at her with a worried look. "But what if I can't?" the rabbit asked.

"You have to keep trying. Don't give up. Show her that you feel her pain and that she does not have to be sad anymore. Whenever she is sad, take her pain so she doesn't have to feel it anymore."

My mom pushed the rabbit off of her lap and it hopped swiftly away. My mom called out, right in time for the rabbit to hear, "Take her pain away!"

I was jolted awake by a tapping noise at my window. I sit up to see that the tapping is coming from a little, pink nose, surrounded by a puff of white.