My Top Picks: 11 Great Guitarists Of All Time

My personal favorites.

457
My Top Picks:  11 Great Guitarists Of All Time
Synyster Gates Custom Guitar

11. Ricky Horror

Ricky Horror is one of my newest favorite artists. I started heavily listening to his band, Motionless In White, this past year, and Ricky's definitely an amazing guitarist. He is also the only rhythm guitarist on this list.

10. Ray Toro-Ortiz

Ray Toro, now pursuing his solo career, was the lead guitarist of My Chemical Romance from 2001 until the band split in 2013. Ray's solos are really amazing, and I love trying to learn them. Although my favorite guitarist in My Chemical Romance is Frank lero, Ray's on this list because of those amazing solos that make My Chem's music so memorable.

9. Nikki Misery

Nikki Misery is another recent favorite of mine. He happens to be the lead guitarist for the band New Years Day. He joined New Years Day in 2011, and the band has been heavier and kicking ass ever since. His guitar along with the other guitarist, Jeremy Valentyne, complement each other perfectly, and it makes for such a great, hard-rock sound.

8. DJ Ashba

DJ Ashba is the lead guitarist for the band Sixx: AM. The band was formed in 2007 as Nikki Sixx's side project which has now become his full-time project since the ending of Motley Crue. Their songs are absolutely amazing. What makes DJ Ashba such a great guitarist is the sheer ferocity of his playing. The riffs and the solos are what makes Sixx: AM such an amazing band, as well as the lyrics of the songs being completely filled with positive messages, like in the song "Accidents Can Happen" in which the chorus is, "You know that accidents can happen, and it's OK. We all fall off the wagon sometimes, It's not your whole life. It's only one day. You haven't thrown everything away."

7. Jake Pitts

Anyone who truly knows me knows that this guitarist is going to be on this list. Jake Pitts, the lead guitarist of Black Veil Brides, is a truly amazing guitarist. There are some people out there who think that his solos aren't too difficult to learn and play. I'm making the statement now that they take a lot of practice to learn. I've been playing for five years, and I still have trouble with Jake's solos. His solos are the frosting on top of amazing lyrics and bass lines and drum lines. They tie everything together.

6. Jimi Hendrix

Of course Jimi Hendrix makes the list. He's one of the most legendary guitarists of all time. I love his songs, and it just sucks that there aren't any new Hendrix stuff. I feel that Hendrix would still be at the top of his game today if he were still alive.

5. Eddie Van Halen

Do I really have to say anything about this one? I mean, it's Eddie Van Halen, for crying out loud. Just listen to "Eruption." You'll know why he's on this list.

4. Zakk Wylde

Former guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne, Zakk Wylde is...well...wild. He's truly an awesome guitarist. I didn't really pay Zakk Wylde much attention to start with. I mean, when you're in a band with Ozzy Osbourne, it's hard to pay attention to anyone except for Ozzy. It was when I was listening to Black Veil Brides' cover of KISS's "Unholy" that they did with Zakk Wylde that I started paying more attention to Wylde. Then I discovered the amazing guitarist that he is. His solo in the "Unholy" cover is astounding.

3. Mick Mars

Of course Mick Mars is on this list considering my favorite '80s band is Motley Crue. Mick's solos are hell to play, and I don't know how he does it. It's Mick's solos that tie everything in together in Motley's songs.

2. Slash

Slash. What more do I have to say? It's Slash. If you haven't heard Guns N' Roses's songs or Velvet Revolver's stuff, or even Slash's solo stuff, you probably have been living under a rock. Like, seriously. If you don't know who Slash is, you've been living under a rock. Slash is the epitome of all guitarists. It is still my dream to be as good as Slash on guitar one day.

1. Synyster Gates

The only guitarist, for me, who can outrank Slash, and it's only for one reason: his sweeps. Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold is definitely one of the best guitarists of all time. He's at my number one because of the amazing sweeps that he does in Avenged's songs. I'm still trying to learn his solo for "Beast and the Harlot," but that's not even the most difficult solo of his. There are so many different songs I could list that could showcase Syn's amazing skills as a guitarist, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.