My Thoughts On The 63rd Grammy Nominations

Where the hell are The Weeknd's nominations?!

57

Recently the list of nominees for the 63rd annual Grammy Awards was released, and as usual, there is plenty of controversy surrounding it.

The Grammy's have been dealing with accusations of corruption for many years now, and it feels like they have been struggling to withhold their reputation amongst fans and artists. Rumors of artists paying the Grammy's for nominations or the Grammy's going solely off of the popular charts have definitely helped with the increasing dislike of the Recording Academy. In many instances, they seem to stick with the same songs or artists for every category that they could possibly be placed in, rather than exploring other options. There has also long been a problem with them grouping non-white artists into boxes, like "R&B" or solely "Latin," when they could very well be qualified for the more generic categories like "Pop" or "Rock."

Many of the nominated artists deserve to be on the list, but there are some who were snubbed despite being equally qualified. I thought I would go through some of the biggest categories and pick who I want to win, who I think should win, and who will win. In some categories, I will also include anyone who I think was snubbed of a nomination. I stayed away from categories where I don't know the songs or artists because it just wouldn't make sense for me to give my opinion.

1. Record of the Year

Who I Would Like To See Win: "Circles" - Post Malone

Who Should Win: "Don't Start Now" - Dua Lipa

Who Will Win: "Everything I Wanted" - Billie Eilish

Snubs: "Blinding Lights" - The Weeknd, "Watermelon Sugar" - Harry Styles

This category is a prime example to me of how the charts seem to dominate the Grammy nominations, but also fail to include those who were equally successful with no explanation of why certain songs were chosen over others. This category also includes mainly radio charting songs, but then randomly includes "Colors" by Black Pumas and "Black Parade" by Beyonce. How does either of those songs fit in with the others, and vice versa? I'm certainly not hating on either song, and I actually think it would be cool to see a less popular song win!

2. Album of the Year

Who I Want To Win: "Folklore" - Taylor Swift

Who Should Win: "Future Nostalgia" - Dua Lipa

Who Will Win: "Folklore" - Taylor Swift

Snubs: "After Hours" - The Weeknd

Although I love Coldplay and their latest album, how did "Everyday Life" sneak its way onto this list? I found it to be one of their weakest albums and the production seems to be very wishy-washy stylistically. If any other album were to replace it on this list, I would choose "After Hours " by The Weeknd. I also think it's a crime that "Fine Line" by Harry Styles is excluded from this category. That being said, I think that "Future Nostalgia" or "Folklore" are the clear choices to win in this category.

3. Song of the Year

Who I Want to Win: "The Box" - Roddy Rich

Who Should Win: "Cardigan" - Taylor Swift

Who Will Win: "Don't Start Now" - Dua Lipa

Snubs: "Blinding Lights" - The Weeknd, "Adore You" - Harry Styles, "Without Me" - Halsey

I can't complain too much about the songs in this category, other than the fact that I think it will be based on chart success, much like the other categories. If they were basing it off of the charts, there are also some glaring snubs that I feel need to be explained. I would be happy with any of the three songs I listed above winning this category, as well as H.E.R.'s protest song, "I Can't Breathe."

4. Best New Artist

Who I Want to Win: Chika or Phoebe Bridgers

Who Should Win: Megan Thee Stallion

Who Will Win: Megan Thee Stallion

I'm pretty happy with the list of nominees here, other than Noah Cyrus being on the list because I don't consider her a new artist. I think it would be awesome if Chika won because she is a lesser-known artist, but I would also love to see Megan Thee Stallion pick up a Grammy win because she deserves it after all of the success she has had. I'm also a big fan of Phoebe Bridgers and I think she is also a strong contender for this award.

5. Best Pop Solo Performance

Who I Want to Win: "Cardigan" - Taylor Swift

Who Should Win: "Watermelon Sugar" - Harry Styles

Who Will Win: "Watermelon Sugar" - Harry Styles

Snubs: "Blinding Lights" or "Heartless" - The Weeknd, "Without Me" - Halsey

Once again, why was The Weeknd completely excluded from this category? The even bigger question though is why the hell is "Yummy" by Justin Bieber on this list?! "Yummy" is by far the worst song to grace this planet in 2020 and the fact that it received a Grammy nomination over either of The Weeknd's hit songs or Halsey's "Without Me" blows my mind. I will riot if "Yummy" wins over "Cardigan" or "Watermelon Sugar."

6. Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

Who I Want to Win: "Exile" - Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver

Who Should Win: "Rain On Me" - Lady Gaga feat. Ariana Grande

Who Will Win: "Exile" - Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver

Snubs: "Hate Me" - Ellie Goulding feat. Juice WRLD or "Close to Me" - Ellie Goulding feat. Diplo and Swae Lee

It makes me so excited to see "Exile" by Taylor Swift and Bon Iver on this list! I am really rooting for them to win this category because I love that song, but if "Rain On Me" or "Un Dia" take the win instead, I'll still be happy. However, I still have beef with the fact that "Intentions" by Justin Bieber featuring Quavo is consider a Grammy-winning song. Can you tell I'm not a huge Bieber fan?

7. Best Pop Vocal Album

Who I Want to Win: "Folklore" - Taylor Swift

Who Should Win: "Fine Line" - Harry Styles

Who Will Win: "Folklore" - Taylor Swift or "Future Nostalgia" - Dua Lipa

Snubs: "After Hours" - The Weeknd, "Dreamland" - Glass Animals, "Heartbreak Weather" - Niall Horan

Maybe I am biased, but I really believe that "After Hours" by The Weeknd deserves to be nominated here instead of "Changes" by Justin Bieber. I would absolutely love to see "Folklore" or "Fine Line" win this one, but I also think that Due Lipa fairly deserves to win as well. Personally, I think it would have been cool to see Niall Horan's "Heartbreak Weather" or Glass Animals's "Dreamland" included on this list.

8. Best Rock Song

Who I Want to Win: "Kyoto" - Phoebe Bridgers

Who Should Win: "Lost in Yesterday" - Tame Impala

Who Will Win: "Lost in Yesterday" - Tame Impala

Snubs: "Simmer" - Hayley Williams

I can't say I have too many complaints against this category, mainly because I do not listen to a lot of rock. Some may say that Hayley Williams' "Simmer" deserves to be included, and I would maybe agree because that song is unique and very well produced. I would be happy with either Phoebe Bridgers or Tame Impala winning this award, as well as the following rock categories as well.

9. Best Alternative Music Album

Who I Want to Win: "Punisher" - Phoebe Bridgers

Who Should Win: "The Slow Rush" - Tame Impala

Who Will Win: "Fetch The Bolt Cutters" - Fiona Apple

I'm not sure if I can explain why, but something is telling me that Fiona Apple will win this award. I do not have evidence or reason to back this up to other than that critics seem to love her, but I have a gut feeling. However, I think it would be really awesome if Brittany Howard, Phoebe Bridgers, or Tame Impala won in this category.

10. Best R&B Performance

Who I Want to Win: "Goat Head" - Brittany Howard

Who Should Win: "Goat Head" - Brittany Howard

Who Will Win: "Black Parade" - Beyonce

Brittany Howard's "Goat Head" is beautiful and I would personally like to see it win, but I have a feeling that the Grammy's will give this award to Beyonce, which would not upset me either.

11. Best R&B Song

Who I Want to Win: "Do It" - Chloe X Halle

Who Should Win: "Better Than I Imagine" - Robert Glasper feat. H.E.R. & Meshell Ndegeocello

Who Will Win: "Black Parade" - Beyonce

To be honest, I would be happy with any of the nominees winning this one. I love Chloe X Halle's song "Do It" and the song "Better Than I Imagine," so I would love to see one of them win, but all of the nominees seem equally deserving to me. Ultimately, I think Beyonce will pull out a win in this category.

12. Best Progressive R&B Album

Who I Want to Win: "Free Nationals" - Free Nationals

Who Should Win: "It Is What It Is" - Thundercat

Who Will Win: "Ungodly Hour" - Chloe X Halle

Once again, I love all of these artists and their albums and would love to see any of them win. Thundercat and Free Nationals have a special place in my heart so I think it would be exciting to see them win, but I do love Chloe X Halle too.

13. Best Melodic Rap Performance

Who Should Win: "Lockdown" - Anderson Paak.

Who Will Win: "Laugh Now Cry Later" - Drake feat. Lil Durk or "The Box" - Roddy Rich

Snubs: "Wishing Well" - Juice WRLD, "Mood" - 24kgoldn feat. iann dior, "Smile" - Juice WRLD feat. The Weeknd

I really don't understand how Juice WRLD was excluded from this list since his entire style is melodic rap and he has had some majorly popular songs this year, but I am still happy with the nominees on the list. I like every song on it and would be happy with any of them winning, but I think Anderson Paak. is especially deserving of this win.

14. Best Rap Performance

Who I Want to Win: "What's Poppin'" - Jack Harlow

Who Should Win: "Savage" - Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyonce

Who Will Win: "Savage" - Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyonce

Snubs: "DOLLAZ ON MY HEAD" - Gunna feat. Young Thug, "Snow On Tha Bluff" - J.Cole

I really enjoy all of the songs in this category too and think that they all deserve to win, but I would love to see Jack Harlow or Megan Thee Stallion win. The only song in this category that I don't think really fits is "Dior" by Pop Smoke, which I would replace with one of the songs I listed above.

15. Best Rap Song

Who Should Win: "The Box" - Roddy Rich

Snubs: "Snow On Tha Bluff" - J.Cole

Some may disagree with me, but I feel like "Snow On Tha Bluff" should be included in this category for its lyricism and J.Cole's flow. I would really be happy to see either Roddy Rich or Meg pick up this award.

16. Producer of the Year (Non-Classical)

Who I Want to Win: Jack Antonoff

Who Should Win: Jack Antonoff

Who Will Win: Andrew Watt

I absolutely love Jack Antonoff and think that he has had such a successful year with producing multiple tracks on Taylor Swift's "Folklore" and producing The Chick's entire album, "Gaslighter" along with many other hit tracks. However, I think that Andrew Watt has a more diverse list of productions that may grab him the win, like Miley Cyrus's "Midnight Sky" and "Take What You Want" by Post Malone and Ozzy Osbourne.

17. Best Music Video

Who I Want to Win: "Adore You" - Harry Styles

Who Should Win: "Brown Skin Girl" - Beyonce

Who Will Win: "Brown Skin Girl" - Beyonce

Snubs: "Cardigan" - Taylor Swift

I made sure to watch all of the videos in this category and came to the conclusion that Beyonce's "Brown Skin Girl" has the best visuals and best cohesion with the song, but I also love Harry Style's "Adore You" music video. All of the videos seem creative and visually pleasing, but I don't really know if I think that "Life is Good" by Drake and Future should be included. One video that I think was wrongfully excluded was "Cardigan" by Taylor Swift, considering that it was created during quarantine with strict regulations and it is beautiful shot.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this year's Grammy nominations. I think that the Academy bases their decisions too much on money and the charts for the categories to even be credible anymore. Don't get me wrong, several of the artists and songs listed deserve a Grammy, but I feel like the focus is too much on how popular a song becomes versus the quality and creativity of it. I would have loved to see artists like Glass Animals, Bad Bunny, Oh Wonder, The Chicks, Amine, Big Sean, The Weeknd, Cautious Clay, Lennon Stella, Juice WRLD, Little Mix, and Gabrielle Aplin included, but since the Grammy's are a political minefield these days, it does not make sense to nominate them for much other than maybe one category. In other words, the Recording Academy needs to set its priorities straight and start being more consistent and in The Weeknd's words, "more transparent" with their choices.