My Summer Must-Read List

My Summer Must-Read List

A look into my summer reading list.

200
My Summer Must-Read List

I have always loved to read. However, I struggle to find the time to wander into Barnes and Noble just to sit down and find a good book. As a college student, my time to read for leisure comes in the summer. I look forward to opening up a new book on the beach, sun beating down on me, and finishing it before the sun even goes down. This week, I wanted to share my on-going summer reading list. This list is legitimately a copy and paste from my notes on my phone that just keeps growing. I listened to my friends, my teachers, and blogs to keep adding up to what I just NEED to read. I haven't read any of them so we shall see how they turn out! With lots of variety within the list, I can't wait to step foot into the bookstore the second my finals are over. I hope you find something that seems enticing to you! (Now I just have to figure out which one to read first)

The Hate You Give

This young-adult novel by Angie Thomas revolves around protagonist Starr Carter, a 16-year-old African American teenager living in a poor black neighborhood. After seeing her unarmed friend shot by a police officer, Thomas tells the story of activism through a young girl–inspiring readers everywhere. As a popular topic in the news, I am intrigued to find out the story of Carter and where her journey brings her.

Sisters Like Us

As a sister, I know the importance of sisterhood along with the ups and downs of it all. Divorcee Harper Szymanski is left with a life in shambles. Her teenage daughter wants nothing to do with her, her house is too expensive, and her family life revolving around her overbearing mother is just one thing after another. Her doctor sister Stacey Bloom is the opposite. She is not cut out for motherhood and worries about the unexpected baby on the way. Author Susan Mallery tells a story all about bringing the sisters together to show their strength, rather than apart. This was actually on my list last summer and I never got to it. I'm excited to indulge in their world and really think it is going to be a good fit for my interest.

The Beach House: Coming Home

Growing up on the beach and in Cape Cod during my summers, I know the impact of a beach house on a family. It brings a sense of serenity and unity, healing anything that may have happened along the way. In this heart-wrenching novel by Georgia Bockeven, Melinda Cambell was only 15-and-a-half when she got pregnant and had to make the life-changing decision to put her baby up for adoption to save her child from her malicious grandfather and a life she did not want to her baby live. The story follows the lives of both Melinda, 14 years in the future, and her daughter Shiloh living a separate life where she battles pediatric lupus. Jeremy, her adopted father, lives for their beach house. Shiloh insists to Jeremy that she has to meet her biological mother, and when Jeremy and Melinda meet, their whole world changes.

Holding Up The Universe

Once titled "America's Fattest Teen," Libby Strout lives a life of struggle to fit in. No one ever gives her the time to find out who she truly is behind the weight. With her mom passing away and her dad heartbroken, her life seems to be falling apart. She wants so much more. Then she meets Jack Masselin. Author Jennifer Neven tells the story of love for who someone really is, rather than they look like. I'm excited to read this one as it sends a meaningful message for teens everywhere.

Genie: A Scientific Tragedy

I heard about this story from a friend who was intrigued by the story of Genie. Russ Rymer tells the true story of the young girl was strapped to a chair for 13 years before being rescued and let back into the world. To anyone's imagination, this was far from normalcy. Scientists work now to dive into her life and journey to gain new knowledge on language acquisition. While it is much different than the other books I plan to read, this horrifying story brings me so much interest to read the full and true story of what happens next.

Behind Closed Doors

Last summer, I was captivated by Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. When talking to a Barnes and Noble worker about our love for the book, she recommend this novel. The story follows the life of a couple that always appears to be perfect. However, behind closed doors Jack and Grace have secrets that may just come out to show the world that they are far from this idea of perfect. Author B.A. Paris dives into this mystery as the true lives of the couple are revealed in a psychological thriller.

Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy: The Untold Story

As a resident of Massachusetts, naturally I am intrigued by the stories of the Kennedy's. I'm always googling Jackie Kennedy herself so when I came across this text, I was ready to read. Author Barbara Learning tells the story of how one woman's life was changed in an instant when losing her beloved husband. J.F. Kennedy had so many loved supporters, but what about his true love?

This Love Story Will Self Destruct

I'm a sucker for the boy meets girl love story. However, this story puts a spin on it. Eve is a free spirit that just wants to live her life. Ben loves structure and wants his life a certain way. As polar opposites, the two don't connect right away. However, time after time when they meet the spark starts to set. Leslie Cohen redesigns the classic love story in an intriguing way I can't wait to see unfold.

Georgia: A Novel of Georgia O'Keefe

I was receiving feedback from a tutor the other day on an essay centered on the growth of feminism over the past 60 years or so when she started to talk to me about this book that she had just finished before our meeting. Dawn Tripp tells the story of the famous Georgia O'Keefe and her journey to fame through her unique art. O'Keefe has become an inspiration over time to women everywhere where her dedication to pushing through critics highlights passion and the love for what she does.

No One Is Ever Missing

This novel by Catherine Lacey encompasses the story of Elyria, a Manhattan resident that leaves her life and family behind without notice on a one way flight to New Zealand. Her life may have appeared stable before the escape, but she was not feeling secure. Elyria embarks on a great journey where she encounters challenges with both the people and wildlife of New Zealand. Lacey brings several different feelings and ideas to the table as she takes the reader through loss, love, and finding yourself.

Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dream Girl – A Women's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

While I am not personally struggling in a relationship, a friend of mine told me of this book and how inspiring it could be despite the fact if you are single or not. However, my mom often tells me that I'm "too nice" in several situations, (Hi Mum) and this is exactly what author Sherry Argov wishes to touch upon through the entire book while also answering questions aspiring women usually want to find answers to.

The Happiness Hack: How to Take Charge of Your Brain and Program More Happiness into Your Life

My roommate (and best friend) has the same love for summer books as I do. A couple months of go, she came home with this book, a self help book to boost happiness in your life while mapping the brain in order to implement this natural joy. We often get caught up in the busy ways of life and forget the little things that we should be appreciating on an every day basis. In this book, author Ellen Petry Leanse introduces her methods to hack your mind in order to find these pathways to happiness.

The Secret Language of Dogs

I actually have had this book downloaded on Apple Books since the end of last summer. With life getting in the way, I was unable to read it. As a avid dog lover, I often wonder what is going on through my loving lab's cute little head. Dog trainer, healer, counselor, and now author Jocelyn Kesler explores the mind of dogs in a way to help us understand what is going through our furry friend's minds. Who knows, maybe I will actually be a dog whisperer after this read, not just coined one from my family and friends.