I Have a College Job, But Please Stop Looking Down on Those Without One

It's not fair to compare majors and stress levels.
39

To the author of the article, "If You Don't Have a College Job, You Can't Complain About Stress",

First off, I would just like to say that you are 100 percent entitled to your own opinion. But just as you are, I am entitled to my own as well. I would like to start off by saying that I respectfully disagree with you, and I will list my reasons why.

My first point is that just because some people don't have jobs, that does not mean it is their fault in any way, shape, or form. Some people simply struggle in searching for jobs because they may be unqualified. They may even be handicapped. In this case, students aren't able to work regular jobs because many require the employee to lift certain objects or walk around a significant amount. Many students don't have jobs freshman year of college because it may be easier to adapt to a new lifestyle without the stress of a job at first.

My second point is that just because someone doesn't have a job, does NOT mean they have a stress-free school year. You didn't seem to take into the fact that many students are involved in Greek Life, extracurriculars, sports teams, etc. in addition to classes and coursework. These activities can take up a large amount of your schedule. Even though I do have a job myself, I am also involved in Greek Life (even holding a small position in my chapter), and dance as an extracurricular, along with my classes.

If I was not offered this job, I know for a fact that I would still be stressed as much as someone with a job. Sororities can take up large amounts of time, with weekly chapters, mandatory events, and requirements such as putting in service hours. Dance takes up a large chunk of time as well, with having to practice. And there is the fact that I still have to carve out time to devote to my studies. And if they're not as busy? So what? Coursework can still be hard. So, to conclude this reasoning, students are stressed no matter how big or small their load is.

Third point: ALL MAJORS ARE DIFFICULT. No single major wins the prize as being more tedious than another. It is extremely unfair to compare majors. Each one is unique, and that means they all have their difficulties. Each one has difficult coursework. Being an elementary education major, you are required to take a test called the Praxis, that tests your core academic skills. It is required to pass it in order to be admitted into the School of Education. That alone can be very stressful, as it is possible you can fail; it is a major stress for me right now. From then on, there are class observations, student teaching, and more tests, along with applying for a teaching license. Sounds like a breeze, right?

My last and final point is that although many of us have jobs, we have not yet reached that age to have "real world" jobs. We simply don't get paid enough yet. We are 18-22 years old. If my parents would like to help pay for my needs, like groceries, so be it. I don't earn the salary of a business woman. However, if there is something I just have to have in the palm of my hand, like a new dress or more makeup, it will come out of my own checking account. Just because my parents pay for my needs, does not mean I'm spoiled. I know the difference between being spoiled and knowing that I am an adult that needs to pay for what she desires.

I hope you took time to consider my points. I took time to consider yours, but I still have to disagree. Just remember, everyone is stressed, no matter the load. College is difficult in general. I believe that we should all be treated equally when it comes to our stress.