My Relationship With Christ Comes First

My Relationship With Christ Comes First

Everything else will come in His time.

84
My Relationship With Christ Comes First
https://pixabay.com/photos/book-bible-bible-study-open-bible-1209805/

New Years Resolutions are one inevitable, and arguably annoying, thing about the year changing. I have never been one to participate, but I must say that this year I am. For me, it is more than losing weight or breaking a bad habit. It is getting myself to a mental, physical, and spiritual place that I have not yet allowed myself to reach.

There are many times in my life that I have thought to myself that I was genuinely happy and content with the way everything was going within my life. But the thing is, many times, shortly after becoming content and complacent with the situations and relationships that I had put myself in, I would be hit with stress, anxiety and much more.

I have lost many relationships and spent many days at home rather than going out due to my mental, physical, and spiritual fight within myself. I would be so complacent with where I was at within my life that I'd place my relationship with God on the back burner. I turned into a person who said they followed Christ, but only ever prayed when I needed something.

I put myself into countless relationships and friendships because I wanted to be there, not because that's where God was calling me to be. I was ignoring all of God's signs because it wasn't something I wanted. I thought that I could be happy with all of my worldly desires, rather than what He had planned for me.

Putting my relationship with God to the side was followed by me putting my relationship with myself to the side. I was focused on tangible things, and I relied on others to make me happy instead of finding happiness through myself and God. I created relationships with people who did not have Christ-centered lives, which continued my drive away from Christ and my truest self.
Church began to feel more of an obligation rather than an opportunity. Going out was more appealing, which in turn caused me to make many bad decisions due to the sheer fact I was following in my peers' footsteps rather than Christ's. I hadn't touched my Bible in weeks, and praying was becoming even rarer. It was time for a change.

Creating a focus on God has allowed me to focus on myself. I have set aside all of my current relationships with people, and I cannot express how beneficial it is. It is okay to take time for yourself. It is okay to take a step back and reset. It is okay to drop unhealthy relationships and habits. It is okay to say no to an event or activity because it not something you morally think you should do. It is okay to have different goals and aspirations than those around you. It is okay to vocalize your faith.

Focusing on my relationship with Christ has allowed me to grow in ways that I cannot even begin to explain. Creating a solid foundation with Christ first is the way to true, genuine happiness. Once the relationship with Christ and yourself is cemented is when He brings true, Christ-centered relationships into your life. Everything is through Him.