My Reaction To The 300th Episode Of Grey’s Anatomy

Contains spoiler alerts.

65
ABC

Anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy watching "Grey’s Anatomy." Before I started watching the show, I wondered how anybody could love a show that has been going on for twelve years. I thought I wasn’t going to like it, so I never clicked on the show when it came up in my "Suggested for You" tab on Netflix.

Oh, how wrong I was.

On that fateful day in the summer of 2015, when I couldn’t find a show to watch because I had finished all the good ones, I finally clicked on "Grey’s Anatomy." Within the first day, I finished all of season one (which was nine episodes) and three episodes of season two, and I was hooked. I instantly felt a connection to each of the characters, and for all of my junior year, I was convinced that I was going to be a surgeon.

On November 9, 2017, the 300th episode of "Grey’s Anatomy" finally premiered. Now, all of the members of the cast had been teasing their loyal fans all week with trailers and images from filming. So, my friends and I were on the edge of our seats by the time the episode started.

Unlike any of the other season finales or milestone episodes, there were no shootings or murders or plane crashes. Instead, Debbie Allen and Krista Vernoff, the director and writer of the episode, decided to kill me emotionally by bringing in past characters.

I literally squealed like a little kid when I realized they brought back the entire theme song for this episode. I don’t know why, but I felt like it was just like an old episode from season one or two.

When Greg and Cleo, the two people who were stuck on the rollercoaster ride, were brought in, I immediately made the connection between Greg and George and Cleo and Cristina. I actually cried when they were brought on screen. Seeing the lookalikes forced me to remember when George was brutally killed after getting hit by a bus and when Cristina left Grey-Sloan Memorial for good after she danced it out with Meredith.

In addition to Greg and Cleo, Liza also serves to represent Isobel Stevens, another member of the original five interns (Meredith, Alex, Cristina, George, and Izzie). I cried again when Alex noticed the similarities between Liza and Izzie. It is obvious that you can see the pain in his eyes as he remembers how Izzie left him without even saying goodbye. It is obvious that he will forever love Izzie as he talks about her with Jo.

I also think it’s important to mention the implied friendship goals between Meredith and George, and Meredith and Cristina, as she tries to save their doppelgangers. Throughout the entire show, Meredith lost many who she cared about, and though she tries to brush it off years later, it is still blatantly obvious that she misses her friends. While all of this is going on, Catherine and her son Jackson try to convince Meredith to leave to go the Harper Avery Awards Ceremony, but she cannot leave her “friends” while they are hurt.

In a completely different storyline, Owen and Amelia have to work together in the OR to save a patient with a hematoma. But can I just interject and say that they need to get back together already! After everything they have both been through, they need to just be happy with one another. I cried for the third time when Amelia brought in the portable CT machine to do a scan on the patient’s head. Although it wasn’t obvious at first, I instantly related it to the night where Derek died. If they had just done a CT scan on him, then he wouldn’t have died. Like Meredith, I think that Amelia is not over the death of her older brother, and does everything she can to try and avenge his death.

The aforementioned Harper Avery Awards Ceremony occurs while Meredith is in surgery. Once she is announced the winner and Jackson gives his beautiful speech in lieu of her absence, the waterworks started again. Everything that he said is completely true, and obviously, anyone who is as obsessed with "Grey’s" as I am, wanted Meredith to win this award.

While her closest friends and family are rooting for her in the OR gallery, the camera finally stops on Ellis Grey, also known as Meredith’s mother who died early on in the show. Honestly, if you were on the sixth-floor lounge in Champagnat, you would have thought a murder was going on as my friends and I screamed. Throughout the entire show, Meredith’s success is fueled by wanting to please her mother, and finally, after all these years, her mother is proud.

At the end of the episode, Meredith and Alex finally reclaim the tunnels where they once hung out in from the interns. I thought it was a nice touch that Cristina called Meredith to congratulate her and to celebrate her victory with her and Alex.

Overall, season 14, episode 7, "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" was an amazing episode that effectively incorporates many of the people who have played such an important part of the show. That being said, I am so incredibly excited for Thursday’s episode, which marks the end of the winter season.