My Quiet Rebellion From Myself

My Quiet Rebellion From Myself

I'm not some badass, I'm just ... me
2

I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I couldn't stand trying to conform to societal norms.

I couldn't stand withdrawing from opportunities out of fear.

I couldn't stand my lack of expression to avoid judgment.

And most of all

I couldn't stand living within this body as I felt my soul drifting farther and farther away from who I really am.

The words "rebel," "rebellion" and "rebellious" usually come with negative connotations. They are seen as a teen sneaking out of his or her house late at night, disrespecting his or her parents, or getting involved with drugs and alcohol far too early. However, I am here to change the connotations of these words, to prove that I, too, am a rebel living within my rebellious phase of rebellion.

I am not sneaking out of my house, disrespecting my parents, or trying hard drugs and putting my life at risk. What I am doing is putting everything I once knew on the line in order to better myself and the outcome of my life.

I am dropping all societal norms.

I am delving into opportunities and telling my fear to hit the high road.

I'm expressing myself and welcoming judgment.

And most of all

I am learning to live in this body while embracing the soul of my true being.

Growing up, I always said I wouldn't get a tattoo. I wouldn't get a tattoo because it would hurt, because people might look, because people might talk.

Society said no.

My fear said no.

The avoidance of judgment said no.

Growing up, I was wrong. I desperately wanted a tattoo, to express myself, to have meaning marked on my skin forever.

And so, I quietly rebelled.

I got that tattoo. I got that meaning marked on my skin with a middle finger to society, fear, and judgment.

Growing up, I always said I wouldn't fly alone. I wouldn't fly alone because I was afraid of heights, because I was afraid of getting lost, because I was afraid of all of the possible, "what if's."

My fear said hell to the no.

But, I quietly rebelled.

Growing up, I didn't know what I was missing. Flying, traveling, alone has had such a profound impact on my life, giving me a sense of independence that I would have never found elsewhere.

I got on that plane, I flew to new places, and I kissed that shackling fear goodbye.

I just couldn't stand it anymore.

And most of all

So, I quietly rebelled

And being a rebel has been the best decision of my life.