My Post-Coronavirus Promises

My Post-Coronavirus Promises

A list of promises I am trying to adopt while coronavirus sweeps across the world and will work to fulfill as soon as we are safe again.

8
My Post-Coronavirus Promises

Dear post-coronavirus Niki,

I genuinely never thought this pandemic would end. Hopefully it is not too long after I wrote this, but I have no hope on that, especially after seeing how many people refuse to accept the gravity of the situation. It feels like everyone my age knows at least three or four people who continue to go out, visit bars, and ignore social distancing rules to fulfill their own satisfaction and enjoyment. I hope their selfishness has not put them into any harm, and I hoped they learned that what they were doing is wrong. It is reckless to go around exposing yourself to possible sources of the virus and spreading it to others, regardless of whether they are capable of fighting off the disease or not, and I really don't understand why people can't sacrifice a couple of months of their lives to make the world safe for everyone again. So many of us are suffering from boredom and increased mental health problems but we are still forcing ourselves to quarantine for the sake of the community - so why can't the people who keep going out do that too?

The lack of accountability that people hold over their actions is genuinely astounding. There are definitely some instances in which we have to go out (some people have to work, we need ot buy groceries, etc.), but going to the club and other places just to "hang out" with friends is wildly unsafe right now. How can people go to bed at night with the possibility that they might have infected someone who could die because of the virus? I could never.

Anyways, present Niki is suffering. She is bored out of her mind and lives vicariously through her dreams to find any sort of enjoyment. So here are some things I promised myself to do as soon as the coronavirus situation was handled:

1. Travel to different countries

2. Give my friends a hug

3. Crush this next semester

4. Take better care of myself

5. Work out more often and eat healthier

6. Take breaks and slow down

7. Work hard in school but never forget to live my life

8. Make every waking moment feel as full and unforgettable as possible

9. Never sacrifice experiences I can't get back

10. Show unconditional love to my family and friends

11. Put myself first

12. Show little acts of kindness to my friends and family that will put a smile on their face

13. Look at the world in a more positive light

14. Do things that make me cherish every breath I take. Bask in the morning sunlight, even if I'm living alone. Bake that cake. Go on that jog. Book those tickets, hit that roller coaster, never have any regrets.

A girl can only dream as of now, but, future Me, it is up to you to make this a reality. Quarantine taught me that I need to learn to live life for myself, to romanticize every living moment I have on this plant.

And that is exactly what I intend to do.

With love,

Present Niki