To all dogs of the world,

I will never be able to repay you for the happiness you have filled my life with. I will never be able to return the favor to you, but I am forever grateful for your presence.

You, as a species, have brought nothing but smiles to face and warmness to my heart. The bond that I have with each and everyone one of you -even those that I have never met and do not know personally- is something that I cherish, and quite honestly am not worthy of. I think I speak for all of mankind when I say that dogs are a gift we will never deserve.

Although your love will always be too good for us, there are people in this world that do not deserve your love at all. They beat you, they starve you, they damage you, play with your emotions. These people are not worthy of your greatness; and I am sorry that I cannot protect each and everyone of you from them.

Just the other day, I saw a picture on Instagram, advertising a dog that was going to be killed that day at 6:00 p.m if he was not adopted. My heart ached while I watched the video of him in his cage, wagging his tail ferociously at the site of people. All I wanted to do was adopt this sweet boy, save his life, and love him for the rest of mine. Unfortunately, he was in Miami, Florida so I was just as helpless in my attempt to save his life as he was over his own fate. I cried at the thought of this sweet heart of a dog being put down because no one adopted him, it was unfathomable to my why no one would.

As a sat there watching the video, my mind wondered and I realized that he (Butch, the dog) was not the only one in this situation. In fact, there were dogs in worse situations than him. This notion made my heart ache even more, how was it possible that a dog could be treated worse than this, that a dogs life could be less valued as this? Unfortunately, a kill shelter is the lesser of many evils; it is not their plan to kill the dogs that they foster. They want people to adopt these dogs, they are trying to save them, but they don't have enough resources for the plethora of dogs that need saving.

People that abuse dogs, any animal for that matter, do not deserve them, they are unworthy of their love and they are the most horrible human beings to walk the earth! The dogs just want to love and be loved, but these people are ruining their lives by making them feel like their owners are never happy with them. They are beaten constantly, neglected and never given the love they deserve. Dogs are innocent animals, not some emotionless things that can be kicked around and remain unfazed. These dogs are damaged, physically and emotionally, sometimes so damaged that they aren't safe for other, better families to save them. Dogs in these types of situations are helpless, they do not understand why their owner, the person that they love, is inflicting so much pain on them, their life is a sorrowful existence. And I wish with all my heart that I could rescue each and everyone of them and give them the lives that they deserve.

I am sorry, all dogs, that I cannot save you all. If it were up to me, and if I had enough money and space, I would rescue all of you. I would love you, and play with you, and most importantly, protect you. All of you deserve better lives than the ones you are forced to live. All of you are worth more than how your owners make you feel, you are amazing, silly, loving animals, and for that reason, I will love you all for the rest of my life.

Love always,

Your best friend