My Netflix To-Watch List

My Netflix To-Watch List

Nine popular television shows I haven't watched.

24
My Netflix To-Watch List
TV Series Finale

I’ve never been a big TV person. I tend to have one or two shows I obsess over, watching reruns constantly until I get bored and stumble upon something else. Recently, I binge-watched Ripper Street on Netflix. Originally airing on BBC, it is a well-written show with plenty of familiar actors playing flawed, morally gray characters, such as Matthew Macfayden, who played Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy in the 2005 adaption of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice alongside Keira Knightly, and Matthew Lewis, formerly known as Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter. I call myself an unapologetic fangirl for this show.

However, there are still TV shows, popular ones, which I have known about for years. I meant to watch several of these when they first came out, but never got around to it for some reason. Others on this list were airing when I was too young to enjoy them or to be interested in the material (even though I watched soap operas with my mother). Thankfully, there is Netflix.

Be prepared for what you see on this list.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

GASP! Yes, it is true: I have never watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, nor its sister series Angel. I didn’t really get into the paranormal stuff until my early teens during the height of the Twilight era, so Buffy was beyond my range of interest for a long time. Plus, my dad was pretty strict with what I watched when I was younger. Seeing a girl make out with a vampire and fighting big scary monsters? That would not have gone well.

Gilmore Girls

Another GASP! I know, I’m killing you all…. Gilmore Girls is a show I was old enough to remember stumbling across an episode while channel surfing. But then I would snort and change the channel. If it wasn’t Japanese anime, I didn’t care. My interest in finally watching this show was the airing of the revival miniseries on Netflix. Except, my friends insisted I needed to watch the original before even thinking about watching that. Now that I’m older and I read as much contemporary/chick-lit novels as I do fantasy and mystery, I figured I would see if my TV tastes have matured as well.

The Vampire Diaries

The Vampire Diaries is one of the shows on this list I am very surprised I never got around to watching, even though I always meant to. Like I said, I was avampire-loving teenager (OK, I still do love vampires), so this show should be right up my alley. Yet, I have never watched a full episode. I blame it on the books. I tried picking up them up countless times, but I always gave up. They were awful. And coming from me, that’s saying something.

Once Upon a Time

A similar situation to The Vampire Diaries, Once Upon a Time was a show that immediately caught my eye when it aired several years ago. I grew up watching Disney and I love fairy tales, especially fairy tales retold in a modern or different setting from the original. Again, I meant to watch it, never did. But I plan to remedy this soon.

Orange is the New Black

A Netflix original series, I heard of this show long before I convinced my dad to get the family an account. I’m still interested, because I suspect it will be very different from the book it is based off of. I read the book Orange is the New Black in 2015. It was a good book, but more nonfiction than fiction and, from my understanding, goes more in-depth with criticism of American women’s prison systems. Yet, most people I know enjoy the Netflix adaption of Orange is the New Black.

Pretty Little Liars

I have never read the books Pretty Little Liars is based off of, and I lost interest in picking them up a long time ago. Although, my interest in the TV show still remains. Likely because this kind of material is my crack-cocaine. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad, but it’s so addicting you can’t help but watch it to find out what happens next.

Stranger Things

A more recent release on this list, Stranger Things came out of nowhere a few months ago on Netflix. Everyone and their mother was obsessed with this show, supposedly about aliens and a nod to the 1980s. Aliens are another subject that are a hit or miss for me. Science fiction generally goes right over my head. I have this on my Netflix account to-watch list, but it is low on the priority list right now. Unless you all can convince me otherwise.

Supernatural

Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural is a show I hope I might like once I give it a chance. I mean, it sounds interesting: two brothers go across the country hunting demons and other evil paranormal creatures. It sounds similar to the job the main character from one of my all-time favorite books, Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, had, too. However, compared to some of the other shows on this list, I have no idea if and when I will get around to actually watching it.

Girl Meets World

I watched Boy Meets World as a kid, except I don’t think I loved it as much as liked it. The show was relatable, though, in certain areas. Girl Meets World promises to be just as lighthearted and funny as the original, with a very serious undertones. Unfortunately, this one is also low on the priority list.

Any popular shows I missed you think I should watch on Netflix? Which of the shows I mentioned here should I watch first?