I Have A Love-Hate Relationship With The Quarter System

Counting down the days until summer.
219

After a long nine months of getting our asses kicked by schoolwork, May has finally arrived. This month, in most college student’s terms, is the time where one finally feels the relief of not having to study for exams and complete rigorous assignments for two whole months. The month where one packs up their belongings and begins to grieve over the fact that they will be separated from their friends, roommates and frat parties for an extended period of time. That’s right, May is the month where most people begin to count down the days until they are back in their element at college – that is, unless you’re a DePaul student. In that case, we still have forty-four days until our countdown begins.

When first beginning my college career at DePaul, I was thrilled with the fact that I was going to be starting school in September, almost an entire month later than most of my friend’s that chose to attend state schools. As November rolled around, I fell in love with the six-week break DePaul students receive, as we do not attend school from Thanksgiving until New Year’s. But now?

It is May, and it seems as though every college in existence is being released for summer break except for mine. Do not get me wrong – I am extremely pleased by the amounts of perks that come alongside being on a quarter system, but I am also becoming all to familiar with the downfalls. Think about it, what could one love more than waking up for a 9 a.m. class on a scorching 80-degree day in the middle of the month? Even better, what could possibly be more fun than forcing yourself to study for final exams while everyone else is out enjoying the beautiful weather? Pessimistic as it may sound, I have mentally checked out of this quarter due to the fact that I am ready to begin summer vacation along with everyone else.

We still have forty-four days until our countdown begins.