I Will be on the road to a new me.
Health Wellness

Food And I Will Have A Different Relationship After March 21st.

My bariatric surgery is just around the corner and so is a new me.

106
Pamela Waldon

Some People may already know, and to others, it will come as a surprise. Two days from the day of my writing this article I will go under the knife of a very skilled surgeon to have a Gastric Sleeve procedure done.

It has been eleven long months since I started this journey to a healthier me and very soon it will finally be a reality. I'm nervous, even if this the third time that I will be under the knife. I'm scared a little too, and that's completely normal, but it's definitely worth the risk to stop the trauma I've caused to my body over the years.

What was it like, you might ask. To begin with, it was just a thought, and now it's very much real. I went through months of prep work. Seeing every kind of doctor necessary to get cleared for the surgery.

My doctor gave me a list of things to do each month working up to my surgery. It was only supposed to take seven months, but due to some bumps along the road, it has taken nearly a year to get approved.

It's a complete lifestyle change and in a way saying goodbye to a part of myself and letting a new me take over. Food can most certainly be an addiction.

In my case food took the place of an addiction to prescription drugs. It's like trading. But one is just as bad as the other. Drugs may kill you quicker, but with food, it's a slow painful crawl to death that I have no intention of taking any time soon.

I'm ready to take the leap and get on track to a healthier me. It might be a challenge, but I've dealt with more difficult things in life. The only constant is change, right? And this will be a change for the better. I have things to live for.

Plenty of people say that it's ok to be plus sized and big is beautiful. Personally, as a plus sized girl I find my body disgusting, not only that but the pain that is ever present. Feeling like an old person every morning you wake up because it hurts to get out of bed.

The joint pain and aching muscles and constantly being tired. Food just isn't worth it anymore. It's no way to live one's life. It's like being trapped. You may want to do things but your body physically can't. You feel shameful because of your size and the things that people will say.

I'm not body positive, I'm overweight, and I know that it needs to change. In the coming months, I will feel like a whole new person and be able to do more with my family. My fiance had the procedure done a few months ago, and he's lost almost 70 pounds in four months. We decided to do this together because we want to get healthy together.

If you or someone you know is considering Bariatric Surgery here are a few things you should know:

-See a pulmonologist first. This part of the process takes the longest time.

-Start cutting out certain items as you go through the process (Soda, carbs, sugar, alcohol).

- Start some exercise, even if just walking around the block.

- Be prepared for the liquid diet. 12 days of liquid, 3 protein shakes and 2 yogurts a day. 2 days of clear liquid. This one is tough. I am just finishing up my first day of clear liquids, and I'd rather be back on the shakes and yogurt, but it's necessary.

- Listen to your doctor's orders.

I just thought of it sitting here, the next time I write I'll be a new me. Let the Pheonix rebirthing process begin!