My First Year At College

My First Year At College

My college experience was different in a good way.

14
My First Year At College
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

College has gone by in a whirlwind. It seemed like yesterday I was moving into my dorm and moving away from home for the first time, and now I'm packing up out of my dorm and ready to head back home. So much has occurred this year alone for me and reflecting back on this year I would have to say it was one of the best years ever, there may have been a hiccup or two but it was all smooth sailing.

Looking back, I realize my freshman year of college was probably a lot different compared to most first year students. I was a freshman that took on a total of 35 credits between the two semesters I was here at UWW and let me say... it wasn't easy. 17-18 credits a semester may seem small but in reality there is a huge amount of course work. You are doing homework from the minute you get up to the minute you go to bed and it was very stressful. But it was worth it because it put me ahead in my academics and when you have a declared minor your freshman year it makes having 17-18 credits not so bad because the minor I declared is something I'm incredibly passionate about.

My minor is dance, and it has brought so many opportunities to me and has taught me so much. In this past year, I have learned so much and have grown as a dancer that I'm incredibly blessed to be in this program. I have met some amazing professional dance companies from Giordano Dance Chicago to Axis Dance Company out of California. But I have also met some amazing dancers who are in the minor program with me and I can say they are my closest friends and my family. I got the opportunity to dance in some amazing pieces choreographed by some amazing students who I look up to immensely. They inspire me and have helped me grow as a student and as a dancer. I got to go to the American Collegiate Dance Association Conference with one of the piece I was in and I learned so much from all the professors and professionals that were at that conference. I got to see so many talented dancers and performers that are truly inspiring. But I also got to be with my closest friends and some of my favorite professors. I am so blessed to be apart of this program and feeling at home in the program. I have three amazing professors that teach me more than I could ever hope for. This is something that not a lot of first year students get to experience. Some don't find their home till their second year or later on in their college experience but I found mine right away and I'm so lucky I did.

I also found home in a sorority, Delta Zeta to be more specific. Most freshman go through recruitment and want to join Greek Life, but I joined my second semester and I don't regret it. It has been such a great experience and getting to know such a great group of girls has been so great to me. I didn't have a lot of friends growing up and here in Delta Zeta, I can say I'm so blessed to be in the sorority and get to know such an amazing group of ladies that work so hard for our philanthropies and for our sorority in itself it is truly inspiring. I have the best Greek family I could ever ask for. I joined Delta Zeta because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself, and feel like I have contributed to help those who need it most. I'm so lucky to be a part of Delta Zeta and I can't wait for what the future holds for me. DZLAM

My first year in college was a fun but hectic one. I focused on school, dance and Delta Zeta, and I feel I experienced college in a different but more positive way. I feel that this year was one for the books and I'm so blessed with all the opportunities that had presented themselves to me. My first year here at UWW was one I will remember forever and will hold close to my heart.