My Fight With Fitness

My Fight With Fitness

And how I learned to love it.

13
My Fight With Fitness
PopSugar

There are many things that I have excelled at in my life, but fitness has never been one of them. I was never the athletic child in high school. Yes, in middle school I played junior varsity sports, but once I hit high school and puberty, the fitness streak ended. I just never seemed to enjoy exercise or anything athletic. I have always been the kid who sits inside with a good book and reads for hours. While other kids played sports, I delved into the works of Poe, King, and Bronte. 

Normally, that would not be such a big deal; many children value other things over fitness. However, my genetics and love of food did not work well with my lack of exercise. Soon into high school, I realized that I was becoming a little bigger than my friends who played softball and basketball. At 5-foot-10, I’ve always been a big girl, simply because I am built bigger than most girls, but I was always skinny. Eventually, curves began appearing in places they did not need to be, but I didn’t pay attention to going up one or two pant sizes. It was fine; I was growing. 

Now, as a sophomore in college, I firmly understand that the freshman 15 is a real beast, and it does not stop at freshman year. With my strenuous work and school schedule, I did not have time to go to the gym. Plus, I was up at wee hours of the night studying and mindlessly snacking. By focusing so much on my schoolwork, I completely forgot about my body. It is the only one I have, and I was treating it more like a dumping ground than a temple. I ate whatever I wanted and forgot about what I needed. But no more! I decided to learn to love fitness. 

Not only did I decide to lose weight, but to become a fit and healthy person. That is the best advice that I could give to anyone who wants to start their own fitness journey. Do it for the right reasons. Yes, I am unhappy at the weight I have gained and my lack of fitness, but I turned it into a positive opportunity to become a better person. This is a new journey. 

I still have days when I do not eat like I should, and I am brand new to my workout regime: crossfit. I have my ups and downs, but I keep working at it. I made it my personal goal to be the best person I can be, and it starts with my health and fitness. To anyone in the same boat, I say keep up the good work and know that fighting with fitness is a losing battle. Accepting it as lost friend will make you a much healthier and happier person.