My Favorite Kind Of People

My Favorite Kind Of People

They are NOT defined by gender nor ethnicity.

1183
My Favorite Kind Of People by Jaachi Anyatonwu

My favorite kind of people are not a certain group of people, who have certain skin colour, ascent, language group or whatever tags that segregates humans. They are NOT defined by gender nor ethnicity. Nor are they defined by physical characteristics, like hair style, body mass or weight.

I hear people say they have a "type" of people they consider favourites. For example a man who prefers slim girls, an Ibibio lady who prefers Yoruba men. Personally, I despise this. [My opinion though. You mustn't agree.]

My Favorite Kind Of People

My Favorite Kind Of People woman in white and black striped shirt standing on yellow sunflower field during daytime Photo by Antonino Visalli on Unsplash

Honestly, what does body mass or tribe have to say about a person?

Sadly, today's society lives by these labels. People are judged by numbers, age, stature, weight, gender, religion. Many more are judged by their skin tone, hair style, complexion and sexual orientation. Why are all of these relevant? There are so much more to a person than all these labels. And traits as such are what I look at for in people.

My favorite kind of people are the people who care.

They're always there for me. All times of day, seven days a week, not just when it's convenient for them. They truly care about my well being. They ask how my day was and how I slept last night, not as a ritual but because they really care. They listen to me rant about my problems, even if it takes hours and hours. And if they have no solution, they offer consolation.

My favorite kind of people are the people who truly listen.

Their eyes light up as I speak and let me know I hold their undivided attention. They give their opinion and it holds so much value to me. Conversations are meaningful and balanced and are the highlight of my day. They. Are. Never. Judgemental.

My favorite kind of people are the people who are honest.

They don't mess around with lies and there are no secrets. Their word is their bond. They say a thing and mean it. And when they make a promise, it's a real promise. They. Keep. It.

My favorite kind of people are the people who are strong.

It matters nothing to me whether or not you can do three hundred pushups in a row while balancing on a 20-foot high platform. Strong is about having morals and ethics. People who are principled and have a solid head on their shoulders. They are self aware, self confident, unwavering. They know exactly who they are and are not easily swayed by popular opinions.

My favorite kind of people are the people who are respectful.

People that are always kind, not only to me but the people around me. They don't put people down and are always offering a helping hand. They laugh and make others laugh, and sometimes when I am with them I forget every bad thing that exists in the world. Ah! These particular category, they make living in Nigeria worth the troubles.

My favorite kind of people are the people who make me me.

I've never felt more like myself than when I'm with this type of person. They do not attempt to make enforce change on me. (The opposite of these people, they piss me off. Toxic. I. Cut. Them. Off.) They're the kind of people who legitimately understand me. They give me their feedback and their opinion and sometimes this second perspective is exactly what I need. They make me me, and it's amazing. Utterly.

So, if we can't judge people by numbers, then what can we accurately judge people by? Judge people by things that aren't labelled.

• Get to know who they are.
  • Get to know their hobbies and their childhood.
  • Get to know their strengths and their weaknesses.
  • Get to know what circumstances, ideas, philosophies, events, orientations that shaped them.

And then you just might find your own (real) "type"—your favorite kind of people. And, man will you be happy. And you will have peace. Peace. Of. Mind.