How Seasonal Affective Disorder Affects Your Mental Health

Seasonal Affective Disorder Can Really Screw Up Your Life, But That Doesn't Mean It's Hopeless

It is extremely easy for my winter blues brain to get in the way of my life, but there are things that help bring light into my life.

142

In general, I'm told that I'm pretty moody. My moods can sometimes change from sentence to sentence, and that is something that the people closest to me have learned to accept and embrace about me, but that does not mean that it is easy to deal with, for either them or myself. In the winter, my moods drastically shift, normally leaving me in a funk, this state lasting from November to February. This is largely due to Seasonal Affective Disorder.

There are two types of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), either occurring in the fall and winter (like I experience) or spring and summer. In winter, I often tend to oversleep and feel rather sluggish, finding it hard to motivate myself to do the things that I normally love to do. My symptoms of SAD came to the surface for me when I was around eighth grade. It was an extremely scary time for both me and my family because I had no idea what was going on or why I was feeling the way that I was. There were no exterior or environmental reason for why these moods and state of mind was happening to me. It was a mystery.

For me, coming to terms with my seasonal depression would have been a lot worse if I had not had a very supportive mom to help me figure out coping mechanisms during this time of year, so that I lose less of my productivity and try to boost my mood as much as I possibly can.

One thing that does wonders for me is a Himalayan salt lamp. These salt lamps are carved out of pink Himalayan salt and have various health benefits. For me, they help to boost my mood by tricking my mind into thinking that there is more natural light in my view, helping me to produce more serotonin, and they also help me sleep more soundly which helps me to feel less tired throughout the day. Salt lamps are also not very expensive. In fact, the one that I have in my room at home is from Amazon and is only twenty dollars. You can find the lamp I use here if you are interested in getting one.

Another thing I do that helps me persevere over my seasonal depression is journaling and using a planner. I currently use "The Five Minute Journal," which organizes each day with a day and night routine, helping me to focus on the little things that happened during the day that were positive, and making me also form a message to myself to help me focus on my personal growth. It is also really easy to use this journal, because it really does only take five minutes each day to complete both the day and night section, but it is a small thing that I know each day I will accomplish, which helps me to be more productive. The exact journal I use will be linked here if you do want to check it out. Using a planner also helps me to stay on track with the things I need to get finished, and it gives me a lot of satisfaction actually crossing things out and knowing that I am getting things on my list taken care of. I love the Peter Pauper press planners, but that is just a personal preference. They are sold at both Barnes & Noble and Amazon (but they are cheaper on Amazon and are only six dollars).

It is extremely easy for my brain to get in the way of my life, but I do my best to not let it.

Having a great support system of both my friends and my family is definitely a vital part of my ability to not let my seasonal depression overtake me, and making sure I do these little things that I have discussed each day helps me to exercise my mind in a positive way.

Seasonal depression affects so many people around the world, yet it seems to be rarely talked about. If you feel like you need help, it is important to speak up for yourself — you're worth it. Consult someone you trust or a medical professional for advice, but never forget that the bad days will indeed pass, and you are stronger and more powerful than them.