What happens if your dreams change?
Life Stages

My Dreams Aren't My Dreams Anymore

When life throws you a curveball (and it will throw many), don't be afraid to try to hit it.

329

I remember I used to have a set plan for my life. I wanted to graduate from a good college with a degree in dance, travel the world before I move up to New York City and dance for a living. I planned on finding a guy that I would be married to by at least age 28 (after I've been in the workforce for a few years and established myself financially). I wouldn't have kids. I would be happy and living comfortably, touring the world and never being too stressed with an early retirement on the horizon.

Boy, I had big dreams.

But as I enter my senior year, my life plan is becoming less and less picturesque. I never thought that I'd also be pursuing degrees in Journalism and Theatre. I never imagined wanting to do anything else but move to New York but now, other options are becoming present and are both more attainable and ideal for my situation. It's hard to let go of the life you dreamt of since you were in grade school; the plan that you came up with down to even the smallest of details. It's a bit scary because for once in my life, I don't have a response to "what do you want to do with your life?"

Life is funny like that; you could want something so hard for so long and then, in an instant, you could want something else that's completely different from your dream. Don't get me wrong, I would still love to travel and move to New York and dance but maybe not in the way I thought I wanted it.

This quarter-life crisis is something that I think everyone experiences and that's OK. You're just simply reevaluating what you want in order to be truly happy. Depending on what and who you encounter can completely affect your entire trajectory of life. Maybe you find your person earlier than expected (or later). Maybe you discover that the job you've been pining for for years isn't what you thought it would be. Perhaps you find a cause that you find yourself heavily invested in. Maybe you lose a loved one or have a child which changes how you live.

That's the beautiful yet crazy thing about life. We can't completely plan what happens. Yes, we can have ideal sketches of how our life will turn out but ultimately, the future is unknown and we just have to roll with the punches and keep discovering ourselves as individuals and then applying what we find to create our lives. Now, I'm not saying to completely give up and sit in a room and wait for something to happen. I'm saying keep doing what you're doing and when life throws you a curveball (and it will throw many), don't be afraid to try to hit it. Just keep listening to what you feel works for you and what isn't working for you anymore. You'll find your fit eventually but until then, just enjoy the ride.