My Dog Isn't Just A Dog, She's My Family

Bear Ann is way more than just a black lab.

94
Victoria Gennuso

I am a firm believer that pets are a fundamental part of any family. They can provide comfort without speaking, support without knowing, and love without regret. They look up to their family as if their entire world is standing right in front of them. Because let's be honest, to these pets, we are their entire world. Dogs are the best pets to form a bond with and the best at making anyone feel loved.

My black lab Bear is the one that taught me about unconditional love and putting everything on the line for the ones you love. It's insane to think about all of the things a dog is willing to do for its family. They don't realize how cruel the world really is but they do know who is family and who is not. And they know how to protect what is theirs.

Bear knows when something is going on. She knows when my family is leaving to go somewhere, she knows when somebody is upset, and she knows when it is time to eat. The second we pull out a suitcase, she starts hiding, shedding, and acting in ways that are not simply normal for her everyday behavior. Just imagine what it would be like to be a dog. You don't understand the concept of leaving to go to the grocery store and coming right back or leaving for a 7-day vacation but always planning to return. So the minute you leave the door, there is no telling whether you'll ever be back.

But man oh man, the second you do come home and walk through that front door, it's like you're the greatest thing since sliced bread. But can you blame them? They thought you were never, ever going to be seen again. That is completely mind blowing!

My dog is more than just a dog to me. Bear Ann knows when I am upset and knows when I am happy. She knows when it is necessary to jump up on my bed to cuddle with me even though her 12-year-old, stiff legs beg to differ. She knows when it is necessary to follow me around the house when nobody is home. She knows how to look at me with her puppy dog eyes and tell me she is deserving of one more treat. Because if I am being real here, Bear has done so much for me in her 12-year life span and she will always deserve one more treat.

I remember thinking about leaving her behind when I left for college. I am not far from home but not seeing her every day and not having something to give me therapy on my rough days hit me pretty hard. When I went to say goodbye I noticed my breath being taken away. My eyes became all teary-eyed. The only thought going through my mind was that 12 was old for a black lab. What if this very moment was my goodbye to the dog I grew up with?

The dog that protected me through the night and the dog that waiting at the top of the driveway for me to walk off of that school bus. The dog that played with my brother and I during snow storms and chased us down the hill as we were sled riding. This dog was with me for most of my life and most of the hardships I encountered. She is way more than just a dog. She is family. Nobody in the world can understand what a dog means to a family unless they have a dog like Bear.