My Dependency On Coffee

My Dependency On Coffee

I depend on coffee a little too much.

15
My Dependency On Coffee
Google

Coffee. I cannot function without coffee.

So to say I was going to give up coffee for roughly a week would sound like complete B.S… yet I decided to give it a try.

Crazy right?

I suffer from migraines, so the thought of not having my daily coffee and experiencing the headaches that come with it, petrified me because I didn't want them to turn into migraines. But, coffee is the only consistent thing I have everyday, other than medications, so it was the only thing that made sense to give up. I was anticipating headaches, tiredness, irritability and a cravings for coffee. Was I right? Oh definitely. It was difficult and I almost caved multiple times. I never knew how important coffee was to me until I completed this task I set for myself. I knew I enjoyed my daily coffee but I never knew I would struggle so much without it.

Making it through the four days without coffee led to a lot of exhaustion and headaches. I was constantly yawning, fighting to keep my eyes open, and trying to get rid of a ton of headaches. I was irritable and just wanted some coffee. It was hard to deal with difficult customers at work because I was just really tired and irritable. The days where I was drinking the coffee, I would go from constantly yawning to feeling like I had a bit of energy. But with no coffee, the yawning never went away. I was very happy to have my coffee again once those four days were up. If a camera was to follow me around, they’d see a very scary girl just gazing at all the coffee around her at her job, that she could not have.

Day one with a camera following me would have shown me yawning, rubbing my temples and fighting back glares at everything around me, which is hard because sometimes I just can’t control my facial expressions, which sometimes are glares for no reason at all. The second I got home it would show that I went straight to bed and took a, probably too long, of a nap. Only to wake up for dinner and a shower, before going back to bed and managing to sleep until my alarm the next morning. Day two would show me waking up, without a headache, and a feeling that “hey, maybe I could do this”... but that did not last long. A few hours into my shift at work my feelings of confidence crashed, probably right into my head were a throbbing headache made its appearance.

Caffeine withdrawals: 2, Corrina: 0,

that is what I was feeling on day 2, and all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I had to really fight myself in making sure I did not go make myself any coffee. My coworkers got a laugh out of it though because according to them, I was “sassy” when normally I’m just quiet and nice, so they thought the change was rather hilarious, which only made me glare at them some more.

Day three was the hardest day by far; I woke up with a headache, or more so close to a migraine, but I’ve had worse migraines in my migraine experiences. That is when I started to notice the other ways that not having caffeine was affecting me. My memory was terrible, I would forget to do certain things at work that I would literally do every single shift. I would go to do something and just completely forget what it was that I was about to do, I would go to say something to my coworker and the thought of what I was going to say would simply leave my mind. Easy to say that not much got done in that few hour shift. I was also unable to stay awake as the day went on. So, after that few hour shift I went off to class, and I had to fight my eyes to stay open. I know I definitely fell asleep for a few minutes here and there during that lecture. I just could not get myself to stay awake no matter how hard I tried, utterly embarrassing.

So day four... it would have shown me expecting and accepting the headache that was there when I woke up. Day four seemed easier... maybe it was just because I came to terms with how this whole caffeine withdrawal was going, or maybe it was because I found something else to occupy my mind with... food. It was like stress eating really, I was so stressed from the headaches and lack of caffeine that I was just snacking on food all day. Not the same as coffee but it occupied my angry mind. By the time I got home, I crashed and I slept the rest of the night away. So, I was realizing just how dependent I was on coffee and I realized it was really all my fault for always having coffee, but I never took how dependent I was on it seriously, until now.

After this experience, I will probably just continue drinking the coffee thatI drink and the amount of it that I drink, because the experience of not having it has been terrible and I believe I function better and act nicer when I have coffee. But, I think I will have a better understanding and a deeper curiosity for the chemicals in food, my diet, and how it all affects me. I might look into what certain things do to my body, pay close attention to my thoughts, actions, etc. and see if I can change it with a change in my diet. This experience has been eye opening to this curiosity to diet and behavior, and to just how dependent I am on coffee, and that maybe one day I should really start to wean my way off of drinking so much coffee and depending so heavily on it.

But let's be honest … not today.