My Dad, The Chef

My Dad, The Chef

It’s not a five star restaurant, but it sure feels like home and that’s enough for me
434

As Father's Day approaches, there are a number things that I am grateful for when it comes to my dad.

Like the way that he refers to himself as, "Tha Master." Yes, the emphasis on “tha” is important, because that's exactly the way that he says it. Or the way that he does the absolute nerdiest dance ever, almost like a Cabbage Patch with his shoulders all burrowed inward and his body so out of proportion.

My dad is the most gentle giant I know, although he isn't even really a giant. But, when you're four and he's 5' 10", to you he's a giant. He worked from home, so we always joked as a family that he would stay in his pajamas until noon, eat popcorn and watch soap operas all day instead of working. But in reality, he did almost everything for us alongside my mom. He cooked dinner almost every night for all of us girls when we got home from school and work each day. Even when I was an annoying 13-year old, he never failed to be there for me each day with a smile on his face and food on the table. After a long day of hard work, he was there without any complaints.

My dad taught me a lot of things, such as my work ethic, how to get back up when I fall down and to not take anything from anyone. But most importantly, he taught me my love of really good food.

From whipping up two fried eggs on a Saturday morning, to grilling out steaks on that same Saturday night, my dad is the best chef I know. Nothing beats his Flank steak on the grill or the way that he perfectly sautees his potatoes in the skillet. I can always count on my dad to serve me up the perfect meal for any mood that I am in. If I am upset, there’s always something he can cook to make me feel better. If I am having a good day, he’s always down to cook me up something to celebrate.

They say that home is where the heart is. For me, my heart is in food, especially my dad’s. I will strive to make sure that the same values he instilled in me when it comes to the importance of being a family and sharing meals together each night are the same values that I uphold for my family someday.

My dad does a lot for me, and cooking is just one of them. He makes sure that our family is gathered around the table to talk about our day each night. Nothing beats a meal at home, and my dad is the best chef I know.

College Chefs is the creative food solution exclusively for fraternities and sororities around the U.S. A culinary company first, their Chefs are world-class talents whose backgrounds range from former restaurant owners to genuine, trained foodies who are just looking to break into the industry. Talk to your House Manager & get your house to make the switch to College Chefs!