My Child Will Be Allowed To Be Transgender

Being this close-minded isn't trendy anymore.

39
Easitalian Blog

As an 18-year-old freshman in college, I’m not even close to thinking about kids. I can hardly decide when I want to go to the gym or what I want for dinner. But when I saw a recent article from a Michigan State student on how she wasn’t going to allow her kids to be transgender, I couldn’t be silent.

My parents “allowed” me to be anything I wanted. I was “allowed” to read big, challenging books. I was “allowed” to play with anyone I wanted to, boys or girls. I was “allowed” to wear shorts or dresses. I grew up knowing my parents would let me do anything I wanted as long as I was a well-mannered, respectful person.

My youngest sister loves everything about boys. She loves "Teenage Ninja Turtles," she loves the color blue, she watches "Power Rangers" and she likes racecar light-up shoes. She has long hair, but she doesn’t like bows or hair clips in it. She plays the boy in all the scenarios with my other little sister, and she plays it well. We don’t know what this means for her when she grows up, but what we know is that Stella is Stella and she is “allowed” to be whoever she wants.

From what I’ve seen in my grandparents and my parents, regardless of the behavior and crazy attitude, your children are supposed to be the light of your life. You pass on a huge part of yourself in your children and you hope to raise them the way you were raised.

But you also want them to thrive. They can’t be entirely like you. They have to grow into their own with your nurturing.

Your children can’t grow if you don’t give them the space to. The author of this article talks about how she will not allow her children to break gender rules because they are “uncomfortable.” Why would you let your child be uncomfortable? Why would you let your child feel as if they aren’t comfortable in their own home? She further calls this desire to be comfortable in your own body a “mental illness.” It’s a mental illness because your children aren’t "following your rules?" Mental illness is not something to be lightly thrown about as a matter of "breaking rules." All children break rules at some point. Not all of them suffer from mental illness.

Throughout the article, the author stresses that she will still love her children if they decide to be transgender, but she will do everything she can to fix them. Is it really love if you do not love the person they become? Is it really love if you cannot accept their choices with dignity and the love you preach you have?

I realize everyone’s right to their own opinion and their own way of doing things. But the article made me realize that we can’t control the way children grow into their own. We can’t put societal pressures on them to make them the way we’d like them to be. They offer a future we cannot even predict, and to attempt to already choose the way they will become doesn’t give them the same opportunity as others.

To love someone is to love all they are and all they will be, and to say you won’t allow your children to live the way they were born to live means you do not love them.