My Brother's First Concert (part 1)

My Brother's First Concert (part 1)

I'm raking in all the Cool Older Sister points with this one.

7
My Brother's First Concert (part 1)
PC Wall Art

I was in my early middle-school years when I first heard the song "Love Drunk." The fast-paced guitar riffs and catchy melodies reminded me of a summer romance that I hadn't experienced. Once I invited the friend over to my house after school to hang out. We danced around to the song until I realized my parents would hear the single swear swear word on the song, and I rushed over to the stereo and shove down the volume, before inconspicuously turning it back up again. My friend and I met each others' eyes. "Good call," she said.

Years later I still listen to Boys Like Girls' other albums. While my musical tastes aren't so focused on pop-punk bands of the early 2000s, from time to time I still plug my headphones in and dance to "Love Drunk," "Contagious," or "Great Escape," in the kitchen when no one is looking. Occasionally I still sing into my hairbrush, pretending I'm serenading a crowd with "Thunder" or "Learning to Fall." I even gave their self-titled album (one of the first CDs I ever purchased, before iTunes became a sensation) to my younger brother in hopes of broadening his music tastes, like the kind, all-knowing older sister I am.

He and I sometimes chat about music, but Boys Like Girls is the band that we keep coming back to as a meeting point for our very different tastes. I'd say, "Remember when Taylor Swift was featured on 'Two is Better Than One'?" and he'd say "Yeah! That was such a good song!" and I'd say "It was! How come nobody talks about it anymore?"

One day after menially scrolling through my Facebook feed, I saw a picture with BLG's tour dates, and immediately opened a chat with my brother. The conversation went something like this:

"Hey." I said. "Wanna to go to a concert?"

"Depends." He responded, "What's the band?"

"Wanna go to a concert with me?"

"Depends.

What's the band?"

"You might know them, Boys Like Girls?"

...

......

"DO I?!"

And he was sold.

I excitedly bought the tickets and told my brother about the venue, one I knew well. We continued talking about our favorite songs, our opinions on the newest album, and how excited we were to see them live.

It's going to be his first rock concert, and I can't wait to share it with him.