I Took Sometime To Get To Know Myself, This Is What I Learned

I could go days without human interaction and I would be a-okay.

125
Flickr

In recent weeks, I have been struggling with self-image. I have asked myself questions like "Who am I?" "Who do I want to be?," and "How can I get there?" I have been writing a "Who Am I" paper for my sociology class and it really got me thinking about certain pros and cons I hold. As a young woman in college, it is easy to get sidetracked and caught up in the moment, and that's okay. I have had to learn to live. Yes my full-time job is school, and that should be my main focus, but I have taken some time to really get to know myself.

I am a sinner.

I do not always make the best decisions. I do not always live for the Lord like I should, but I have come to the realization that God is greater than I ever knew. He is gracious, He is forgiving, and He will always love me.

I am a daughter and a sister.

I have not always appreciated everything my parents do for me. From simple things like washing my clothes to helping me through college. My parents are my main supporters and I could not love them more. The sacrifices they make for our family are unreal, and they will never know how grateful I am for them. I am also a sister to three very beautiful little girls. I am distant and can do better, but they are my little pride and joys.

I am an introvert.

This is obvious to anyone who knows me. I could go days without human interaction and I would be a-okay. People are not my forte. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy spending time with people, but I also like time at the end of the day to unwind and reflect on the day.

I am a friend.

All of my friends are near and dear to my heart. I would go to the ends of this earth for them and they all know it. Recently, I have accepted many new friendships into my life, and I am so very thankful for every single one of them.

I am a music junky.

Music is my out. If you see me, chances are I am listening to something. I have many favorite artists, but if you know me you know I love Taylor Swift, I have a secret relationship with Justin Bieber, and I love every Alternative Rock song there is to know. Ask me about a band, I bet I know them.

I am anxious.

I am a part of the 18.1% of adults who suffer from anxiety and depression. I had my first panic attack at the age of 13 but didn't get officially diagnosed until this year. I apologize if I get anxious in large crowds of people. It's who I am. I cannot "calm down," so don't get irritated with me.

I am forgiving.

This attribute can be a good thing, and also a bad thing. I tend to forgive and forget too easily. You could do something so bad to me, and a week later I will forgive you. This causes people to run all over me, and it ends up being a never-ending cycle of letting myself get hurt.

I am accepting.

Over the past year, I have been stunned at the articles I have read about racism and sexism. We are all human. We are all children of Jesus Christ. There is no room for hate in this world. As women, we need to learn to empower each other. Stop slut shaming. Stop making fun of the girl whose outfit isn't the cutest. In the society we live in today, we just want to find SOMETHING to complain about. Men, I'm not letting you off the hook. Set your pride aside and stop being so rude and hateful towards one another. Male, female, black, white, we all need to come together and love one another.

It has been great getting to know myself over the past couple of weeks. I have answered my questions that I had about myself. I know who I am. Do you know who you are?