This New Year's, I'm Going To Start Taking My Own Advice

Out with the old, in with the new.
42

Every year, I come up with a stupid New Year's Resolution. I never follow through with that resolution. This year, I actually want to follow through.

My New Year's Resolution this year is to let go of all the negative people in my life. Not only that, but to say goodbye to the people who don't put forth as much effort as I do into our relationships (ie. friendships).

I'm always the type of person to care more about someone than they do for me. It always bites me in the ass (pardon my French). I'm tired of letting these people ruin my good moods. I'm tired of not feeling like I'm doing my best to make them happy. These things shouldn't matter!

If I'm truly as important to some people as they say I am, they'll start making an effort. It takes two to have a relationship, not one. I won't be the only one to reach out to people anymore.

I might seem like a total jerk for cutting people out of my life this upcoming year, but honestly? I'm doing it for my sanity. I need to be able to breathe and not worry about what my "friends" think of me because I didn't do something they wanted me to.

I'm the only person that is allowed to judge myself. I'm tired of everyone judging me for being myself. I'm tired of people judging what I do with my life without them actually living it.

The judgment and the rudeness is going to stop. I won't have my friends tearing me down. I'm only human, and I'm not perfect (despite what my boyfriend says).

From now on, I'm going to focus on myself. I'm going to stop letting negativity bring me down. I'm not going to be sad because a friend no longer speaks to me for no reason. I'm not going to let other people dictate my mood.

I'm old enough now to understand why my parents only have a few close friends. You don't need a million friends to feel like an amazing person. The only person you need to make you feel that way is you.

I'm going to start taking my own advice.

Happy New Year.