Muslim Americans Fear What Trump Symbolizes

And the people he represents...

Since Donald Trump won the presidential election, Muslims across America have been met with several incidents of physical and verbal harassment.

In California, a hijabi Muslim student at San Jose University was choked in the parking lot, and at San Diego University, another Muslim student was robbed by two men making comments about Trump. In New York, 19-year-old college student Fariha Nizam was attacked on a bus by a middle-aged white couple who tried to tear off her hijab. In Georgia, a Muslim teacher was given a sickening note that read: “Mrs. Teli, your head scarf isn’t allowed anymore. Why don’t you tie it around your neck and hang yourself with it.”

And this is only just the beginning.

Muslim Americans don't fear Trump because he may throw us out of the nation or is coming to tear off our hijabs. We understand that this is a democratic nation and that there are laws in place to limit the president's power. It's expected that we will always have our First Amendment right to the freedom of speech, press, assembly and religion. However, what Muslims are afraid of and are disappointed by is what Donald Trump represents — of the people Donald Trump stands for and with. We all know who it is, so let's not beat around the bush in saying it: Trump stands for the white majority. He also won over 90 percent of the people in counties that had less than 5 percent foreign-born people and/or where less than 20 percent of the population of adults have a bachelor's degree.

Tells you something, doesn't it?

So when he won, although he has not advocated for violence against minorities, his stance against minorities has been made perfectly clear time and time again. To give credit where it's due, Trump took a step in the right direction this Sunday by telling those who were harassing minorities to "stop it," according to CNN. But because Trump has taken a misogynistic, Islamophobic, racist stance on many occasions time and time again, his supporters feel that they are right, that their suspicions are justified, that what they secretly believed but kept under wraps because it was not socially acceptable has now been proven as right all along. So now, there's nothing holding them back from running rampant across the U.S., attacking minorities left, right and center.

If Trump truly cares about unifying this nation and truly respects minorities as people, then he should address this issue and at the very least, apologize for his hateful words. Throughout his election, Trump has used choice words to insult African Americans, Hispanics, women and Muslims alike. And in the same breath, Trump has also urged those same groups to vote for him all except for Muslims, that is. Even Trump's family, from his wife Melania to his daughter Ivanka, have defended his stance on women and his relations to the black and Latino communities but never have they once addressed his harsh view of Muslim Americans nor mentioned his publicly voiced and tweeted suspicions regarding Muslim Americans. On December 4, 2015, Trump's campaign released a statement that included "recent poll findings that he says show that a sizable segment of the Muslim population has 'great hatred towards Americans,'" reported The Washington Post. "Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension," said Trump.

This was a year ago, but fast forward to July 30, 2016, and we find Trump's sticking with this narrative, having absolutely no qualms with repeating what apparently "a lot of people have said" about Khizr Khan's wife, the mother of a fallen U.S. soldier, For all the harping he's done about the media being a corrupt cesspool of misinformation, you'd think he'd take a look in the mirror, step back and research the basis of his own claims, but instead, when caught in the midst of a hoax ISIS claim, Trump said, "What do I know about it? All I know is what's on the internet."

This is just one the reasons why so many people are uncomfortable with the thought of Trump fronting as the head of the United States, because essentially, he symbolizes the morals our nation values and represents to others outside of the U.S. As our leader, Trump will have to reform his behavior, attitude and terrible habit of hate tweeting ex-beauty queens at 2:30 a.m. We can #notmypresident all we want, but when it boils down to it, if you're not moving to Canada (or any other nation), then you're in it with us all, and all of us must step up to the plate to steer our country in the right direction.

So if there's one positive point in all of this, it's that at least a majority of our nation will have to become more politically involved with their local, state and federal governments.