7 Music Venues Worth Exploring In Athens

Because there's no better combo than live music and Athens, Georgia.

7
Photo from Julia Sanders

Since the B-52's and R.E.M., Athens has been known as one of the biggest music destinations for bands and audiences in the south. Music can be heard blaring out of multiple music venues around town. Read about just a few of the music venues that Athens has to offer.

1. 40 Watt Club

Photo from Julia Sanders

According to the 40 Watt Club's website, the venue is one of the "most famous and iconic music venues in the world." During the past 35 years of it being opened, the venue has welcomed a wide range of bands and musicians, including R.E.M., the B-52's, Drive-By Truckers, Pylon, and a lot more. The venue is located on 285 W Washington St. in downtown Athens, and it still continues to welcome tons of bands each year.

2. The Caledonia Lounge 

Photo from Julia Sanders

This venue welcomes many indie-rock bands and alternative bands each year. The venue is located in downtown Athens on 256 W. Clayton St. For more information on their upcoming shows, visit their website here.

3. The Classic Center 

Photo from Julia Sanders

The Classic Center is not usually a music venue that people think of, but it is a place for people to come see their favorite performances. It is located off 300 N Thomas St. at the edge of downtown. The center has a big theatre with great acoustics, making it the perfect place for bands to perform.

4. The Foundry 

Photo from Julia Sanders

The Foundry offers a wide range of musicians as long as plenty of seating. They also serve food to the audience as people enjoy the show. Their menu includes burgers, fish tacos, salads, as well as non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks. The venue opens the stage for well-known artists, as upcoming artists in the local music scene, such as Shawn Mullins, Randall Bramblett, and Strawberry Flats.

5. Georgia Theatre 

Photo from Julia Sanders

If you live in Athens, and you don't know what the Georgia Theatre is, you have been living under a rock. This venue has a giant stage inside, a bar, as well as a rooftop for audiences to enjoy. Many notable musicians have performed at the Georgia Theatre, including Family and Friends, the B-52's, and R.E.M. Since it's beginning, the venue has had many different purposes, including an Athens YMCA until 1919, a hotel, and even a Masonic temple. Today, it continues to be the place where many people come to jam out to their favorite bands.

6. Live Wire Athens 

Photo from Julia Sanders

Live Wire has both indoor and outdoor areas for people to listen to music performances. Other than concerts, the venue also is the place where many Greek Life events, charity events, and more occur.

7. Nuci's Space 

Photo from Julia Sanders

Nuci's Space's vision is to end the epidemic of suicide and to get rid of the stigma attached to mental illness. The venue maintains a health and resource center for musicians, as well as education for mental illness. The venue was open up to musicians after a student at the University of Georgia and musician committed suicide in 1996. To find out more about the venue and its services, visit here.