The Music That Moves Me

The Music That Moves Me

When Words Fail, Music Speaks

259
The Music That Moves Me
Lifehack Quotes

I believe the overwhelming majority of the nation if not the world believes music has a big influence on their lives. Whether you listen to 1920's jazz, 1990's grunge, modern country or electronic music, people have different music that moves them. Different music speaks to different people in different ways. Personally, I like modern hard rock and metal, 90's grunge, 80's hair metal, 70's rock, some light rock (Like Matchbox Twenty), soundtracks from movies and musicals and some other random pop songs make their way in. However, there are some bands or certain songs that just absolutely move me.

First, the band Halestorm. The Grammy Award Winning band from Pennsylvania started as a duo with guitarist and singer, Lzzy Hale, and drummer, Arejay. They are brother and sister and with the additions of Joe Hottinger and Josh Smith they blend hard rock with Lzzy's kick ass raspy vocals. They play from the heart and are known for touring non-stop. Lzzy also has collaborated on albums as well as live appearances with Hollywood Vampires, Device, Seether, and Lindsey Sterling. The passion, love, and drive they have for their fans is unreal and you hear it in their music.

Next, the band Shinedown. Everyone has heard of Shinedown and if you haven't you have. They're one of those bands that have songs out that everyone knows but they may not necessarily know the name of the song and/or artist. Shinedown has nothing but incredible love for their fans and that's why they keep pumping out new music. On their latest album, Threat to Survival, none of the songs include a solo from anyone. No one gets a solo. Sorry Metallica fans... A part of the reason they didn't have solos was to be able to focus on each song as a whole and to interact with the audience. Shinedown loves spreading the idea of unity and always touches my heart.

Moving forward in this I'm going to move to two albums in particular by Three Days Grace; One-X and Life Starts Now. Then lead singer, Adam Gontier had just gotten sober and hearing the passionate lyrics collide with the guitars and percussion hits you in the heart. Adam has since left the band and formed a new one, Saint Asonia. These two albums are perfect as back-to-back albums because One-X tells the story of him coming to terms with his addiction and seeking help. Life Starts Now tells his story after rehab and going out into the real world again and having to struggle to stay sober. There were rumors that he fell off the wagon and seeing him in concert back in 2011 made it seem that way to me. However, he seems to be sober now and moving on with Saint Asonia.

Here's one that people are going to get a little uncomfortable with, but I like the band Skillet. People call them Jesus Freaks and other harsh things because they sing about their faith in some of their songs. However, I love their passion and dedication towards their faith and I find it inspiring. Do I like every song by them? No, but I like enough of their songs that have an impact on my motivation, faith and drive to get the job done.

Next, one of my absolute FAVORITES; Anything that has by the genius that is Corey Taylor. Corey Taylor is the lead singer of both Slipknot and Stone Sour. After battling through the struggles of a horrific childhood, to escaping alcohol, saving his marriage, losing Slipknot bassist, Paul Gray, as well as not fitting in the mainstream music world, Corey Taylor writes phenomenal music that can absolutely touch your heart. After losing Gray in 2008 to a drug overdose, Taylor toured with Stone Sour and wrote a new album with Slipknot entitled, .5: The Gray Chapter. The album is dedicated to his life, the impact he had on those around him and after his death. Music produced during the time Gray was alive was also very impressive as different band members each faced issues in their own lives that made its way into the music.

Finally, a newer rock song that always gets me pumped whenever someone tries to question what I do; "Stick To Your Guns" by Sick Puppies. The band has a new lead singer, but the same kick ass hard rock feel. Telling everyone who is listening to stick to your guns, don't back down and take on the challenge.

No matter what genre(s) of music you may listen to I hope you find what you're looking for. I genuinely believe that there is music for everyone and that you just need to find it. It may not be on the regular radio, but on your pandora station or related artists on Spotify. Find that music you connect with and don't let anyone steal it from you.