Music To Do Homework To

Music To Do Homework To

To listen, or not to listen while pouring over homework?
13

In this twenty-first century, everyone who has appropriate technology can access any music they want. Thus, we listen to it everywhere, whether it’s in the car, on the bus, while exercising, or doing homework.

The last part is something I want to touch upon. I enjoy hearing tunes from my computer—I want to escape from day-to-day life, I want to keep playing my favorite melodies repeatedly; in some cases, I want to be able to use my language skills to translate them. Recently, I have gotten so immersed in music I’ve decided to read while listening to tunes simultaneously.

The results go around like this:

Pros: It has allowed me to be able to focus more on the material at hand. Usually, I find my mind wandering when I do my homework these days, so having a pair of headphones to chain myself down while I write a paper or read a book for class helps in that regard. If I want to get up and do something else, I realize I might not be able to finish the song. In addition, this will open me up to the program at question and close out what anyone else wants to say. Hence, multitasking!

Unfortunately, this also transfers to…

Cons: If something becomes urgent, like a phone call, or a roommate wanting to talk to me, then the reaction time is reduced. Especially if it’s a song I especially like; I would much rather listen to that over what trauma arises from the “outside world”.

Speaking of songs that I like, I can spend a second switching from songs I don’t necessarily listen to ones I’d rather. Sometimes, I end up going through YouTube, or Pandora, or any wide variety of music-playing apps and just click the “skip” button or search in vain for something I like. And then I get immersed into that song…the irony is that the stuff I’m reading about just skim through my head.

Finally, in our day and age, we could transition from just “listening to music” …to playing games, checking social media, and basically losing our way with our homework.

What I’m trying to say, is, I probably won’t give up on music to concentrate on written assignments. As a background instrument in the music of day to day life, it’s a way to keep somebody at bay, and a great way to get work done.

Conversely, when it comes to reading books, reading music simultaneously is not the best of ideas. I find myself listening to the lyrics more than I should, and find a way not to get in tap with the main idea of the passage or book. Thus, I don’t absorb as much, and can’t use the information to write papers or discuss in class.

And for those who are sober from music…that’s good too.