Is Music A Good Addiction?

Is Music A Good Addiction?

52

Are there such things as good addictions? If so, could music be one?

Friedrich Nietzsche, a German philosopher, once said "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Can you imagine your life without music? Driving in your car from a long day at work, not having a song that reminds you of the special times with your significant other or doing any nonmeaningful task without any motivation.

I’m sorry, but I cannot fathom the thought of life without music. Music is an addiction worth having and I personally wouldn't be around if music wasn't. Music is everything to me and without it I wouldn't be able to survive.

I’m a lover of all types of music, so I listen to it on a daily basis. From the time I wake up and the time I go to sleep at night. It’s the only thing from keeping anyone sane in this world in my opinion. It is like a drug in some way to me. I itch, scratch and pray for it whenever I just need an uplift or a helping hand to guide me through life’s endless labyrinth. I feel sick, dull and deep emptiness inside if I haven’t heard any music throughout the day. It feels like your mind, soul and body are on autopilot. But once I hear a melodic, a catchy beat and lyrics I can contemplate or relate to… I’m whole again and everything in the universe is in balance once again.

The infinite cycle of thoughts and intense feelings travel throughout my body and I catch good chills throughout my body.

Sure you can cope with your stress with various things such as exercising, drugs, or therapy, but there’s nothing more relaxing than putting on your favorite music and zoning out the negatives in your life. It comforts me just knowing that there is someone out there I can relate too and who is going through the same situation or worse. Music tends to make people realize that their not alone and that they’ll never be even if that feeling is there.

Music is a universal language. A blind person can understand and enjoy it, deaf people can compose it, and you don't need to have a specific upbringing to appreciate it. Music is timeless, without music they're be no way to express yourself. Life would be dull and monotonous. Would a life like that be worth living? In my opinion, no, and I must agree, music is unlike any other thing on Earth and it evolves constantly. Anyone can appreciate music, paintings and pictures don't speak to everyone, music, however, does. It has no specific color or politics to it, that’s why I love it so much.

I was reading an article called “Why Do Humans Value Music” and found this quote that summed up the importance of music. “Music is pleasurable and profound," says Professor Bennett. "Music, in its capacity to achieve a sense of deep significance by going beyond the meanings made available by words to meanings only sounds can bring into being, has always been a major source of, or an important accompaniment to, the quest for profound experience.”

So music in my opinion is a good addiction to have in your life.