My Start In Music

My Start In Music

9
My Start In Music
David Farrelly

My name is David Farrelly, and I am an author for the Odyssey, but you can obviously tell that. I guess today is the day that you'll hear my genuine words, so... I guess I'll start? Where do I begin...

I love music. I adore it. I actually write it. I DJ it. Don't think that because my name is DJ that I wanted to DJ. No, it started on a cruise a few years ago, but before that I wrote music under this weird incarnation of a name...

Above: My "Colonel Hipster" Logo

This was my first name. Looooong story. Basically, the idea of the name came up when I was screwing around on Custom Ink while trying to make t-shirts for a charity event. It was a little iffy of a name and I knew that it wouldn't last long, but to be honest, the logo was one of the more dignified logos I've made. It's extremely cringe worthy, yes, and you probably do not want to read on after seeing THAT, but I assure you that it didn't last long.

Under Colonel Hipster, I wrote my first few songs, "Beoptic", "The War We Won", and "Powerless". My first couple songs were just made of loops, as I was still new to Garageband (the software I was using) and tried to learn all of the functions. At this point, it was all fun and games. I wasn't looking for any fame or money, but it felt nice to see people like the arrangements I made.

I started to really get into writing music after I arranged, "The War We Won." You see, there was a girl I liked in high school who complimented my arrangement once and it... really made my day. Like, so really that I arranged, "Powerless" in an hour and a half and wrote up a music video to go with it. All of it was to impress her, but it wasn't until the songs got struck by copyright because another artist used a loop I did in that arrangement, and all of it fell through.

Then, enter:

Above: My "SinTHetic" Logo

SinTHetic, formerly called, "SinTH" came up during some down time my Junior year of high school while I was in AP Psych. My friend, Vicki, was giving me ideas for names based off of current EDM artists like EnV, Zedd, and Marshmello. SinTHetic came about when I was thinking about how certain artists helped created Heavy Metal Dubstep, which is when dubstep and metal were combined. Sin came first, as an ode to the Metal genre, then I realized that synthetic would be perfect, and with some tweaks, SinTHetic was born. In truth, this is when I really started to move away from loops and actually started to write, edit, produce, and publish my songs. In truth, publication didn't come until way later, but as SinTHetic, I wrote most of my music... five unpublished albums actually, ranging from, "My Alter Ego, Mr. Phoenix" and "Kustom Krazies", but the album that I was willing to publish was, "Solar Flare".

Above: "Solar Flare - the EP" Cover

"Solar Flare - the EP" was my brainchild. It was a collection of the most zany, crazy, and utterly useless songs I had ever written. The songs were so crazy that while arranging the notation, I would actually create pictures on the piano roll. "Sky High" has a measure that I proudly call, "The Pretzel Measure" because... well, it looks like a pretzel. Truly, it was a ZANY and CRAZY album and I had a blast writing it.

I started DJing on a cruise ship actually. I was already well-within my second album, "My Alter Ego Mr. Phoenix" and... okay, let me backtrack. Throughout the cruise, I wrote music, yes, but I actually lied about DJing in the first place. Not a good thing to do, huh? It definitely isn't a good idea when the FREAKING CRUISE DJ HIRED BY THE COMPANY CAME TO THE HANGOUT AND EVERYONE PRESSURED ME INTO PLAYING. I thought I was screwed, like I would lose friends, be looked on badly, but as soon as I touched the first knob, I knew what I was doing.

At that point, I knew that I needed to start DJing.

After, "Solar Flare - the EP" I had one more and final name change. This name I came up with while I was in the shower and it fit so well:

Above: enerxyedm, my final name change

enerxy came up while I was in the shower. I was listening to, "Beautiful Now" by Zedd and realized that it had so much passion and so much energy... And then it hit me. I would change out the "g" in energy and change it to an "x", making it enerxy, and thus, enerxy was born. "edm" was added after the fact, as I realized that this would be a name I would DJ under as well. And under this name, I created a Spotify, fixed up my Soundcloud, created a Mixcloud, updated my Facebook page, and the best part, publish my first song!

Above: "Hearts and Sound" Cover. Click on it to launch the Spotify page.

Under the name enerxy, I published two songs. The first came out in October 2016. It was a song I wrote years ago that I mulled around putting into my "Solar Flare - the EP" album until I pulled it for not being crazy enough. It's a psychedelic hit, taking more inspiration from deadmau5-esque trance and house. It's a modular string synth I messed around with and put it over a beat loop of me saying, "ay" (after I edited my voice). This was when I started to really pour some of my free time into my music. Since then, I've curated playlists on Spotify through my account (not through Spotify, sadly), updated my mixes on Mixcloud, and legitimately DJed events.

There is a somewhat sad undertone, though. Even though with the success I got from publishing and stuff, Spotify won't let me take over my artist account until I have over 250 followers on my main account and the musician account.

So, a plea I guess?

If you read this and you have a Spotify, please help me out and follow both accounts.

Personal: https://open.spotify.com/user/enerxyedm

enerxy: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0Um9uRz3PjJbp5KeF1...

Thanks for listening to my story. If you are curious about my music, please visit my Facebook page and like it.

https://www.facebook.com/EnerxyEDM/