What You Need To Know About Multicultural Greek Councils

"No matter the letters, we're all Greek together."

308
Wichita State University

1. Yes, we do exist.

If you were initially like me before college, your view of Greek life probably resembled the first and second Neighbors movies. Definitely not the best nor accurate of representations. Luckily, my own personal college experience has proven me wrong. But in the midst of these mainstream stereotypes about frat parties, huge sorority houses, and hazing accusations is the lesser known Multicultural Greek Council (MGC). That's right. We fall under the same category as the Interfraternity Council (IFC) and the Panhellenic Council (PC), but unfortunately we are overshadowed.

Just know that we've always existed and we're here to stay.

2. We may be small, but we're also mighty.

It's certainly no secret that MGC isn't big or abundant as IFC or PC. That fact, however, does not negate the power or passion of our own council. Of course there are cons about having smaller numbers, but on the other hand, there are perks too. Something I absolutely love about MGC is how close knit it is. Everyone knows everyone and it really is like a family. I don't know what I'd do without them as my support system. There may be strength in numbers, but also in unity. With that being said...

3. We do just as much as any other council.

My biggest pet peeve is when I hear people bashing on MGC, saying that we're not a "real council" or that we don't anything useful for our campus or community.

Wrong. We all worked extremely hard to earn our letters just like other Greeks and anyone who says otherwise is misguided and disrespectful. We have philanthropies, we have events, we do community service, and we contribute a lot more than we will ever get credit for.

4. Our traditions may be different, but it doesn't make them weird.

MGC's rich history is deeply rooted and ingrained in our traditions and rituals. At first glance, what we do may seem abnormal and unusual in comparison to IFC and PC. In fact, I have friends who wonder about how MGC works. They would ask about our secretive processes, stepping/strolling or probates, which is completely fine to question! Personally, I'd rather have them ask for explanations, instead of assuming it's strange. Just because we're different and you don't understand us, it doesn't make it acceptable to alienate us.

5. Being multicultural doesn't mean we're exclusive.

What usually turns people away from MGC is the part where we're multicultural.

Let me make this clear.

Being multicultural is not synonymous with being exclusive.

We take pride in our different backgrounds and heritages, and so we incorporate that into our values and beliefs. However, that doesn't mean that we exclude people of other races or that we only accept people of certain races. MGC is entirely open to everyone and anyone. So yes, white people can join.

6. In the end, we all stand for the same values.

People go Greek to create unforgettable memories and lasting friendships. It's not a competition or about one council being better than the other. In the end, we share the same beliefs and we are working towards a common goal: to better the community and ourselves.Therefore, it is crucial to make sure we stay united and supportive of each other. MGC, IFC, and PC all are individually unique, but together we're complete.