I Am Multicultural, But I Do Not Have To Commit To One Ethnicity

Take a moment and talk to someone about their cultural background. You may be amazed at their story.

436
Susan Jackson

Growing up in Western Washington allowed me to communicate with and grow up surrounded by many different cultures and ethnic groups. One of the main concurrent events I have had to deal with throughout my lifetime is the constant battle of being from a multicultural family, yet the world sees me as only one ethnicity.

When one looks at me, they already pre-determined what race I am. Ever since I can remember, I always have had someone try to speak Spanish to me. I am not offended by it at all, I usually just smile and move along with my day.

But what the people who automatically assume I am a certain race and speak Spanish do not realize is that it undermines who I truly am. I may look like I speak Spanish, but in reality I know way more French than Spanish. If only those who see me from the outside knew that I am in fact Native American.

Not only am I Native American, I belong to the Navajo (Dine) Nation. But that is not the only ethnicity I identify with. My mother is of European descent and we have family all throughout Europe.

Do you think people see me as a half Native American and half white girl? On the contrary, it is a constant battle trying to deal with those who assume my culture and native language. I understand I look a certain way on the outside, but inside I am so much more. My family comes from a variety of different countries, including the land in the present-day United States.

This challenge of coming to terms with my culture is already a struggle, I did not grow up on the reservation surrounded by Navajos but even then, do I look just like a full Navajo? Would they also assume I am Hispanic and not Navajo? I am pretty sure the first guess at my ethnicity would not be Caucasian.

Why do we all assume what people are just by their looks? Is this really what our societies are accustomed to? No one believed my mom when she said I was, in fact, her biological daughter. It is pretty funny to think of that. People who do know I am her daughter sometimes laugh because she and I apparently provide them with the same facial expressions.

As someone who comes from many different cultural backgrounds, I try to stay connected to each one as much as I can. I do not know any Italian, but my mom does make the best Italian food I have ever tasted. I hope to pass that traditional cooking to future generations in my family. I do not know how to butcher a sheep or make homemade tortillas, I want to learn these traditional practices from my Navajo elders one day.

I recognize that I am not just Navajo, and I am not just European. I am truly me. I like to listen to KPop, eat yummy Mexican food and I love to attempt to read poetry books in French. I also love to visit the Navajo Nation to stay connected to my family down there. I have come to terms with the fact that I am a multicultural girl. I still have to face people assuming I am a different ethnicity; that aspect may never change.

However, my voice and how I react to those situations can change.

This article may not have reached the whole world population, but those who do read it, I hope you understand how when you assume someone's ethnicity and judge them by their looks, you undermine their true background.

Everyone is unique in their own way. Do not let assumptions get in the way of their uniqueness, instead, ask questions, keep your mind open and enjoy the life stories that will be told to you.