best movies and tv shows

We Can't Be Friends If You Haven't Seen These 10 Shows And Movies

They're too good to miss out on.

280
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQZPp5ED1VI&t=1s
YouTube: Netflix

Several months ago, I wrote a similar article about movies and TV shows you need to watch in order to be my friend. It featured some classics like "The Goonies," "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," "Stranger Things" and "The Parent Trap" (they're classics to me, ok?).

But since then, I've remembered and discovered more films and TV shows I adore. They're the ones where, if I find out you haven't seen them, I would get into a thirty-minute rant about how great each one is and how you need to watch them, like, right now.

So let's just avoid that whole mess; I'll list more movies and shows you should watch, detailing why, and you go watch them.

1. "Miss Congeniality."

miss congeniality

Agent Gracie Hart was my role model growing up. In the first few minutes, we see her as a young girl punch two boys in the nose for being mean. An actual icon.

The rest of the movie goes on to prove that women can be anything—including an FBI agent or member of the Miss United States Pageant. It's hilarious, has a good message, features strong female friendships and characters, and stars my queen, Sandra Bullock. If you're a woman and you haven't seen it, you're majorly missing out.

2. "Maniac."

maniac

kevingarvey.tumblr.com

Emma Stone and Jonah Hill in a dark, sci-fi dramedy? I'm there. When the teaser dropped a few months ago, I was excited. I grew even more excited when I watched the trailer, and fell in love when I finally watched the Netflix-produced, 10-episode limited series.

It follows Owen and Annie, two people on their own journeys of healing and personal growth, offering themselves to an experimental drug trial to accomplish this. It takes place in a universe just different enough from ours, and shows Owen and Annie in various situations and lifetimes as part of the drug trial. In one, they're middle-school sweethearts from Long Island in the 1980s. In another, they're a separated couple in the 1920s planning a heist.

It strikes that perfect balance of drama and black comedy, incorporating easter eggs and hints that make you want to re-watch it over and over. It's genius is what I'm getting at. Also, it has a dope soundtrack.

(Fair warning: This show features strong language and graphic violence. I personally watched it with VidAngel, which you might want to do if you don't prefer either of those things.)

3. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine."

b99

onastyamiga.tumblr.com

I could talk about how good this show is for hours, and I have (more or less).

Michael Schur had a hand in creating this cop comedy starring Andy Samberg, SNL alum, and Terry Crews, muscle and comedic extraordinaire, among other incredible talents (which I will list now because I feel bad: the genius Chelsea Peretti, kind Melissa Fumero, glorious Stephanie Beatriz, hilarious Joe Lo Truglio, and incredible Andre Braugher). I started watching because of Andy, and I stuck around for different reasons.

The representation is astounding. Of the seven main cast members, only two are white men. There are two black men, two Latina women, and a Jewish-Italian woman. It's rare for there to be that much diversity, and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" strikes the perfect balance of normalizing diversity and celebrating our differences.

I also greatly appreciate all of the healthy friendships and relationships on the show. We get two men who are loud and proud about how much they adore their best friend; three women who always have each other's backs; Andy Samberg's Jake finding two different kinds of father figures in his bosses; extremely healthy and supportive romantic relationships; and healthy male-female friendships that either never steer into romance or friendships wherein the man wants something more, doesn't get it, and instead of becoming a whiney "nice guy," becomes her best friend and falls in love with someone else.

I LOVE THIS SHOW.

4. MCU films.

mcu

sherlockspeare.tumblr.com

The films and TV shows in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are everything. I honestly shouldn't even have to hype these up. If you haven't seen it, what on earth are you doing and how could we ever be friends? Go watch a few, or let's make a movie night of it.

5. "The Good Place."

the good place

goodplacedaily.tumblr.com

From the brilliant mind of Mike Schur comes an incredible comedy about community and philosophy—which sounds absolutely absurd, I know.

The basic premise is that four people are dead and find themselves in Good Place…only one of them isn't supposed to be there. It's upbeat, hilarious, intriguing, and always unexpected. I don't want to spoil anything, but basically, in the words of a friend and fellow fan, it's a comedy with the beats of a drama. Each episode ends in a cliffhanger and leaves you wanting more, and it will never go in the direction you expect.

(It's also pretty great in regards to diversity representation. AKA of the six main cast members, we have an Asian man, a black man, and three women—one of which is Indian-British. And they all play such lovable, endearing characters.)

Get caught up on the first two seasons on Netflix, then watch the first few episodes of season 3 on the NBC website, Hulu, iTunes, or Amazon Prime. The opportunities are endless and it's definitely worth it. Team Cockroach/Soul Squad forever.

6. "Spy Kids" (specifically the first one).

spy kids

This is just dumb fun. If you didn't grow up watching this, it's not worth it now. But anyone who saw this as a kid knows how great it was to see Carmen and Juni Cortez fight off Thumb Thumbs* using their super cool spy gear and the power of family—including their uncle Machete. Who else wanted to become a spy just because of this movie?

(Also, Ingrid and Gregorio are couple goals in every way; come at me.)

7. "The Dark Knight" trilogy.

dark knight

To be honest—and I feel an impending crucifixion for saying this—but these may be some of the best superhero movies to ever exist… My absolute apologies to the MCU which still owns my heart and my wallet, but Christopher Nolan's Batman series was the start of it all, in my opinion. All the superhero and comic book films before this weren't truly taken seriously, even the first three "X-Men" films. This paved the way, showing that superhero films could actually be good.

It's gritty, realistic, and dope as heck. The first one may not be as superb and they might change the actress who plays Rachel Dawes, but the last two are especially good. I don't think any superhero movie will be better than "Dark Knight Rises," and you can't change my mind.

8. "It's A Wonderful Life."

it's a wonderful life

Reporter News

This movie is the very definition of a classic. It's a black-and-white film (though the ending has been released in color and left me shook) made in the 1930s starring the best actor of all time/my favorite, Jimmy Stewart.

The first half is mostly about Stewart's character, George Bailey, and his life. We see bits of his childhood, his young adulthood, and what leads him to a fateful night of contemplating suicide and wishing he had never been born. An angel in need of his wings, and only able to acquire them by helping George Bailey, grants him this wish and shows him how his nonexistence would've affected all the lives in his small town.

It's a moving story about the importance of each life and how truly…well, wonderful it is. (ew I hate myself)

9. "The Princess Bride."

the princess bride

imgur

This movie shaped my sense of humor. It's a sarcastic fantasy novel, set maybe in the Dark or Middle Ages, read by a grandfather to his sick grandson and following a soon-to-be queen, the love of her life—a farm boy and pirate—and two thieves on their quest to find "twue love" and take revenge. It's an absolute classic. Go watch it, or prepare to die.

10. "The Sound of Music."

sound of music

Brightest Young Things

If you like musicals, you should have already seen this movie. Heck, even if you don't like musicals, you should watch it. It's Julie Andrews!!! As a singing nun!!! Raising kids and fighting against Nazis!!! What more could you want???

If you haven't seen all of these, don't even talk to me. Or, like, let's just binge them all as ASAP as possible. I'm always down.