The World Needs More Movies Like 'Love, Simon,' Just Ask The LGBTQ+ Community

Heterosexual couples aren't the only type of couples in the world.

68
YouTube

On March, 15th, "Love, Simon" was first shown in theatres. It's a romantic comedy with a dramatic twist.

It follows a guy named Simon. He has a huge secret. He's gay. No one knows. He is afraid to say it because he is worried to see how they'll react.

He was blackmailed by someone he knew and in order for him to keep his mouth shut, he wanted a date with one of Simon's friends. When it didn't end up well for the blackmailer, the secret was told.

Simon didn't have a chance to come out when he was comfortable, instead, he was forced out. His secret was out to the world.

In the end, his friends and family supported him.

I was jealous of his character because his parents were understanding in the end. Why can't all parents be understanding and just love their child? Why can't parents just let their child love whoever they want to love? It's not the parent's decision anyway, it's the individual deciding what is good for their life. Parent's shouldn't try and control.

Anyways, before the blackmailing happened, he was speaking to a guy who referred to himself as blue. They both didn't know their true identities so Simon wanted to find him. He wanted to know who blue was because he loves him. He cares for him.

In the end, he waited for blue at the ferriswheel. The whole school came and watched for support.

I was emotional during the whole movie. I didn't think I would because I thought it was more of a comedic romantic movie. I didn't think it would come into my heart. Didn't think I cared that much enough to feel.

I was jealous of Simons' parent's acceptance. There's a lot of misconceptions about the LGBTQ+ community. If there weren't any misconceptions then maybe people would be more accepting.

I could relate to Simon in a way. I'm bisexual and I was terrified of coming out to my parents. I thought my parents would take it well. My mom didn't. She said I wasn't thinking correctly, which infuriated me even more.

During parts of the movie, I wanted to scream, "Why can't my parents be as accepting as Simon's parents?" It's really annoying. People should let others live how they want to live, love who they want to love. It's tiring for having to fight for a relationship. People shouldn't be cruel.

Heterosexual couples aren't the only type of couples in the world, so please stop trying to make other sexualities go away.

There's nothing wrong with LGBTQ+ individuals. What's wrong is how people think it's ok to make fun of them, to say, "No, you're not living the way God intended." I can't express to you how much it hurts to be bashed and try to make us feel ashamed.

Movies such as "Love, Simon" celebrate love, acceptance, and being brave to be who they are. People should create more movies such as this because it might help someone accept their sexuality. It might help them come out and it might help someone understand their mind.

I knew when I was four. So, if Disney were to include LGBTQ+ content, that would be great yet educational. Disney and movies, in general, have more heterosexual content, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm bi. I've seen it, so has everyone else but we aren't affected.

Just because people are exposed to the content, doesn't make them automatically gay. It just shows there are more sexualities out there. There's no reason people should be judged.

I gave up on love. I gave up because I felt like no girl would want to date me because their straight, taken by another girl or aren't interested. I was never lucky in love. Sure, I went on a few dates with guys and had boyfriends in middle school that lasted for a couple weeks, but I didn't care for any of them. I have yet to find a guy I am crazy about like I am about a girl.

The ending of "Love, Simon" made me have hope again. Maybe one day. I won't try and force it but if it happens, then it happens.